My Pallet Coop

CorvetteTom

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 22, 2014
Shelbyville, IN
Building a small coop for my 6 chickens. I can't call them 'my girls' anymore because apparently I have some roos.
he.gif

So... here's the pics of my $11 (so far) pallet coop. I am remodeling my home as well so the coop only gets some spare time.

4 - Oak pallets from work = free
1 - 4x4 (was a landscaping edge) = free
4 - 4'x4' (used) 3/8" plywood pieces = free from friend
? - 2x4's (used) from home renovation = free
1 - 4'x4' (used) 1/2" plywood = free from friend
2 - brass hinges from home remodel = free
1 - box of 1 1/4" wood screws = $5
1 - box of 3" construction screws = $6
2 - pieces of used corrugated metal = free from friend

Day 1 - I worked a couple of hours on it and got the basic form.

Day 2 - Got the floor in (1/2" ply), mounted to slide out for cleaning and cut the door opening.

Day 2 - Also attached 3 walls today. Cut the slope and mounted rafters.

Day 3 - Late last night I built the nesting boxes and mounted it today.

Day 4 - I got the nesting box lid mounted with old door hinges and I trimmed the door opening too. It's going to be a sliding door with a pull rope.

Currently trying to decide the best way to roof the coop and what's going to be an approximately 4' x 8' yard. My buddy tore down a small barn and gave me some corrugated metal from it, so I plan to use that to roof it but getting the angles worked out is a pain. I've been gleaning ideas from others' coops and cobbling this thing together.

I welcome suggestions and ideas! I will update as I get more done.

Are you going to put something on the outside for siding? I would be worried about a heavy rain leaking in between the slats and getting the inside soaked, other than that I looks pretty good especially love the price.

Yes, I made a slide out tray. I'm working on getting it to slide smoothly at the moment and think I have the cure. The problem is having it loose enough to slide out and not drop the poop while being tight enough to keep the coop from being too leaky. Thinking ahead for next winter. The bottom plywood will be covered in linoleum so it will be washable.

Okay, I spent some money today... I purchased some pavers to keep burrowing pests from getting into the girls' yard. I bought some treated lumber to frame the yard which will be about 4' W x 8' L x 6' H. So spent around $50, still in the very cheap range.
yesss.gif
Deck boards as a bottom skirt and 2x2x8' for the uprights and another box of screws for this part of the project.

On another note... I think I've got the roof problem worked out.

I'm very new to this, but I think your coop is fantastic! I've got a bunch of pallets available & would love to make a coop like this. I've got a few questions... What are you planning on doing for ventilation? Also, could you post some pictures of the inside of the coop? Thanks for the inspiration!

Thanks!!

This is my first coop construction and I've been looking through the other coop plans/builds posted here on BYC for my inspiration.

For ventilation, I am going to make pull open vent doors at the top. I also have been contemplating a window in the future. I haven't worked out how I can gain access to the coop other than through the floor pan when it is open. I will grab some pics of the inside and post them this weekend.

Back
Top Bottom