My Peachicks Of 2014 *** Will Have Lots Of Pictures ***

How old are these peafowl? Did you raise them or did you buy them? Are you willing to take the risk of them not coming back? I know someone who went to free range their peas and she had guinea hens. When she let the peas out the guineas went after them and attacked then so the peas flew away. Unfortunately they never returned. I know I gave her the pair of IB split to charcoal peas. Easy to let them out when they don't cost money but when I told her she can get another pair for $300 she no longer speaks to me LMAO! So this is something to think about.

W
Will the peafowl come back to their house if I let them out?

I have to second Yoda's warning here. I have guineas as well, but only 3 of them. When I let the peas out during breeding season my guineas will gang up and try to fight the male peas, my older ones will just kind of ignore them and walk away(they can do this with only 3 guineas to worry about), the guineas will harass the peahens a little, but the peahens will really lay into them if they get too obnoxious. If you have a bunch of guineas they could prove to be overwhelming for your young peas and scare them into flying away. I have lost a few young ones over the years because they got spooked and flew, and the young ones can really fly. I have had a few mature ones spook and fly as well, but they all found their way home within a week, none of the young ones were ever seen again. They do seem to get calmer at maturity and they don't spook as much, I also think the end of breeding season would be a better time to let them mingle with the other birds for the first time. I have some that are as friendly and tame as can be, I could let them out everyday and they would go back in their pen on their own for dinner every evening, I have others who are just plain psycho and I do not let them out at all( they would disappear quickly). They can have very different personalities and I generally want to see how they turn out before I start letting them free range. Just my opinion.
smile.png

I have 14 guinas and 6 peafowl. The guinas free range and come back to their pen at night m. The peafowl and the guinas are the same age, about 6 months old. They share the same house and pen. I let the guinas out every morning. The peafowl will then come out into the pen. Use to the guinas would push the peafowl around not so much anymore. They were raised together since they were a mo old. I've had them since they were about 2 days old . The peafowl are not to tame . I'm working on it. One if the female peafowl got out, she sat there while I picked her up and put her back in. I can't think of anything else what do do think?

I have 14 guinas and 6 peafowl. The guinas free range and come back to their pen at night m. The peafowl and the guinas are the same age, about 6 months old. They share the same house and pen. I let the guinas out every morning. The peafowl will then come out into the pen. Use to the guinas would push the peafowl around not so much anymore. They were raised together since they were a mo old. I've had them since they were about 2 days old . The peafowl are not to tame . I'm working on it. One if the female peafowl got out, she sat there while I picked her up and put her back in. I can't think of anything else what do do think?

If I were in your shoes, I would try letting maybe 2 or 3 of the peacocks out one morning instead of the guineas. I don't think they will wander far from the pen to start. Next day I would try leaving 2 or 3 different ones out, let them get used to the fact that nothing out there will hurt them. Then I would try a couple peas and an equal # of guineas left out together, and work your way slowly up to leaving everyone out during the day. From personal experience I can tell you peas will get stubborn, they will go back inside at dusk just fine and then all of a sudden one will decide he just isn't going back in, it may take me a day or 2 for him to get hungry, but eventually I will get him locked up again, and he will be grounded for awhile until I decide to give him a chance again. It is usually the boys who do this, if a hen doesn't come home she has either met with foul play or she is sitting on eggs somewhere. See what the others think and then decide what you think will work best for you. Good luck!

I lost one of my guinas to a coyote a while back. The others have learned what a tree is for plus they have a nest out side the pen and are laying.i live out in the country and have predators. How well can they take care of themselves?

I lost one of my guinas to a coyote a while back. The others have learned what a tree is for plus they have a nest out side the pen and are laying.i live out in the country and have predators. How well can they take care of themselves?
I have had guineas this time sence 2007 and i have never lost one to a ground preditor, i have lost a few threw the years to a hawk but they never get to eat them cause the dogs intervein when the others make a racket and take the kill to the porch and leave it.

I have never had guineas raise up a entire batch of keets so i take them away at hatch, i have tried year after year to let them raise some ands the best they have done is raise one or two and it takes 5 to 7 of them to do that.

My advise would be if you let the hens hatch pull them keets the same day they hatch, keets that have been with their mom more than a few days are very hard to get them to eat unless you have some other chicks already eating, noticed the same thing with peachicks.

On their own without humans i could not tell you, mine are never penned and they do fine but i Shepherd mine and keep an eye on the area in the daytime with daytime dogs helping at night they take to the trees and the dogs night time dogs start their shift, i sleep very well at night and never worry about my birds.

I have left for days at a time for a couple weeks at a time when DH was in the hospital 120 miles away and my dogs did a very good job without me here. without them i do not know what would happen to all my birds but i figure i would not have many left, my pea losses to preditors is 0 and they have been free here sence 2010

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom