My pekin drake has lost alot of feathers on wings? Mainly one wing?

After reading this it really does not sound like he has lice/mites at all. I checked him thoroughly last night and could not find a thing.
I am starting to think he is just moulting. Last night he had a blood feather, I had to pluck the feather out. This is part of the moulting process isn't it?
I am starting to think I have stressed over nothing and he may just be moulting?
I am however going to seek advice from the local vet just to be safe as I am still too new at this. I will also change his bedding etc aswell.
I have read that lice like to get into straw since it's hollow, I don't know how true that is , since I don't use it I like to use pine shaving the flake kind much more absorbent than straw or hay and I have also had ducks going on 10yrs this coming spring and they have never had lice or mites and it's mainly because they bathe so frequent it just a natural way to keep them off, so I doubt your has parasites just molting which can take several months to get through,. I will say even when we had a mite infestation last year in the chicken coop my ducks/geese did not have them. I do under stand about stressing though we want them to be healthy.
smile.png

I have read that lice like to get into straw since it's hollow, I don't know how true that is , since I don't use it I like to use pine shaving the flake kind much more absorbent than straw or hay and I have also had ducks going on 10yrs this coming spring and they have never had lice or mites and it's mainly because they bathe so frequent it just a natural way to keep them off, so I doubt your has parasites just molting which can take several months to get through,. I will say even when we had a mite infestation last year in the chicken coop my ducks/geese did not have them. I do under stand about stressing though we want them to be healthy.
smile.png

Oh definitely. I love my boy. I want to keep him the happiest and healthiest he can be. After plucking his blood feather last night I had him wrapped in a towel in bed with me while I put pressure on it to stop the bleeding. He loved it. He just layed there and soaked in the attention and cuddles. It was too cute.
I might try the pine shaving instead of straw. Thank you.
big_smile.png

Oh definitely. I love my boy. I want to keep him the happiest and healthiest he can be. After plucking his blood feather last night I had him wrapped in a towel in bed with me while I put pressure on it to stop the bleeding. He loved it. He just layed there and soaked in the attention and cuddles. It was too cute.
I might try the pine shaving instead of straw. Thank you.
big_smile.png
Why did you pluck the blood feather? was it coming out on it's own? broke?

I did some research online and it stated that the blood feather should be plucked and pressure put on the wound to stop the bleeding.

Well that's a new one. I have never ever heard such a thing and I would not do that to any of my ducks. I would advise you to not do that again. Where did you read this?
I asked about bathing before because like Miss Lydia told you, bathing is super important to ducks feathers, cleanliness, and health. At this point a vet might not be a bad idea.

No don't pull out blood feathers, all of his new feathers coming in are going to be full of blood on his wings.

This! gosh, no don't do that! I had a young drake get one pulled by the olders this past summer what a bloody(literately!) mess, it can cause excessive bleeding! Why on earth anywhere would advise such a thing is beyond me, truly.

Back
Top Bottom