My pekin drake has lost alot of feathers on wings? Mainly one wing?

Bish

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jul 3, 2012
Dubbo NSW
Hi,
My pekin drake has lost quite a few feathers on his wings, mainly on one though, and they are looking a little mangy, just look like sticks at the end. See picture below. Sorry it isn't very clear. Is this normal ? He is nearly 2 years old. He doesn't live with any other ducks so he isn't being pecked at.
He eats duck pellets, fresh fruit (grapes, apples) and veges (lettuce, tomato, mushroom) and I top his veges with brewers yeast. So I assume he isn't lacking nutrition is he?
Please help!
roll.png

That would be an odd place for parasites usually according to Storey's guide their found on the head/neck and under the wings.. iirc... um, i too am not a huge proponent of using insecticides willy-nilly and the load would have to be pretty severe to loose him, he looks pretty good actually, some feathers get ragged just before a molt, has he molted at all yet? changing the bedding is a good idea regardless and cause no harm whatsoever.

Amiga's suggestion of a mite strip is a good one, i hate chemicals on my animals and prefer to avoid going there unless absolutely necessary. Did you say how old he is? i may have missed this. Yep, i see he's 2! he should have done a molt this year, did he?

Do you have Storey's guide to ducks? he covers aliments well, it's available in an e-book format too!

Last edited:
I am not too sure. I have not seen this happen to him before. He has been like this for a couple months atleast now. How often do they molt?

Mine generally molt at least once a year.

Can you look really closely at the base of the feathers for mites?

Has he experienced any emotional trauma in the last couple of months? Could there by a narrow passageway he likes to pass through?

This questions might sound silly. But where could he catch mites from?

No emotional trauma that I know of. He has a massive backyard and pen so I cannot think of any thing. I highly doubt it anyway.

I know we had a few mites show up in the night pen last year. I saw them early, pulled out the straw bale they seemed to gravitate to, pulled out the bedding, put down DE especially in the corners, and I haven't seen any.

Can you see them with the naked eye? I might have to change his bedding and give him a thorough check over.

So you don't see him pulling on his own feathers out of boredom or anything? I had a loco kitty once who would hide behind the door and pull his own fur out by the mouthful. He had hyperaesthesia. We gave him cortisone shots and that got him through.

Back
Top Bottom