My Pekin Duckling has a Leg Problem

Thank you so much for this! I think it might be the slipped tendon. Thats what fits him best. That link has some great info on it. Do you have any experience treating this?
No, I have only read about it. Some time floating in water might help - warm water, about 85F, just barely deep enough to float in, with constant supervision - so that takes weight off the leg and enables the duckling to get exercise and improve circulation.

I also have this problem. I have 4 Pekin ducklings that are 3 weeks old on Monday. 3 of them are doing just fine but one has a bald spot that I supsect was from getting pecked at. But I watched them and they all get along now. One does have a limping problem and walks quite oddly. The others follow me sometimes and when they do, he comes with but is always at the end of the pack. He can get to his food and water fine but it is plainly obvious that he is having trouble moving. He stays sitting down more than the others as well. I just got Brewers yeast tonight and will mix into his food separately so he gets some for sure. But I also don't know how much to put in. Any suggestions on proportion or other possible reasons he's doing thing? I really think it's niacin deficieny but it could be something else... They've all been swimming twice so far, so should I let them swim more? I just don't want the poor guy to suffer.

I also have this problem. I have 4 Pekin ducklings that are 3 weeks old on Monday. 3 of them are doing just fine but one has a bald spot that I supsect was from getting pecked at. But I watched them and they all get along now. One does have a limping problem and walks quite oddly. The others follow me sometimes and when they do, he comes with but is always at the end of the pack. He can get to his food and water fine but it is plainly obvious that he is having trouble moving. He stays sitting down more than the others as well. I just got Brewers yeast tonight and will mix into his food separately so he gets some for sure. But I also don't know how much to put in. Any suggestions on proportion or other possible reasons he's doing thing? I really think it's niacin deficieny but it could be something else... They've all been swimming twice so far, so should I let them swim more? I just don't want the poor guy to suffer.

One tablespoon per cup of food is good. Make sure everyone gets it, it's good for them and definitely won't hurt.

Closely monitored tub time - warm water, about 85F, just deep enough that they can float if the lift their legs up, but not too deep to stand up in. Seems to me this will take weight off the leg, allow for exercise, and improve circulation.

Also, please take a look at this page about leg problems - look at the slipped tendon section and see if it matches what you have going on.

https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/poultry-podiatry

Thank you so much! Is this link applicable for ducks? I'm just curious since it specifically says chicks. My duckling also positions his neck to the side and brings his head to his body while walking. It may sounds normal but the position is strange... I feel so bad for him!

Much of what applies to chickens can be applied to ducks, especially - in my limited experience - when it comes to feet and legs.

Really sounds like your little one is having nervous system troubles, and that is often B vitamin deficiency. Sometimes E as well.

Would it help to do the hobble treatments for spraddled legs? He's almost 3 weeks old, is it too late to do that? And would separating him from the others be at all helpful for him?

Back
Top Bottom