My Pekin repeatedly goes after one of my chickens.

probably is a male they get real obnoxious this time of year better get him away from the chickens because he has an extra piece of equipment that roosters don't have that can damage a hens insides when he is "loving" them

probably is a male they get real obnoxious this time of year better get him away from the chickens because he has an extra piece of equipment that roosters don't have that can damage a hens insides when he is "loving" them

Agreed...

Pekin drakes do have a curly tail feather, but I don't know at what age these are obvious...

Ducks are very loud, drakes are more quiet. My drake was very obnoxious.

Lola (if that's really who she is, lol) doesn't have a curl. But boy, after watching that video on you tube, and then listening to the female, I think it really is a boy. :(

I ordered a female. Oh well.

Boy how dumb am I? LOL I thought that was just the way Pekins quacked. LOL Boy do I ever feel dumb.

You are not dumb at all. If a duck is sexed, you shouldn't have to worry about it. Where did you get her/him from?

It could still be a girl. If it does not have a curl at 4 months old.. I would think it's a girl with a boy voice :lol:

I am not a pekin/duck expert. I had doubts about my muscovy right up until she laid her first egg!

I got her from Ideal. I went out and was searching through her back feathers...looking to see if any curly ones were coming. LOL

I just hope that if she is a boy, she doesn't try and mate with my hens til we can separate them. Hopefully we still have time.

They will be 4 months old on the 22nd or right around then. Maybe the curl is still coming?

Last edited:
He is a little young to have developed the 'drake curl'. The behaior that you describe is pre mating behavior. If and when he manages to subdue one of your hens he will breed her with possible serious injury. Why wait until that happens to separate them?

He is a little young to have developed the 'drake curl'.  The behaior that you describe is pre mating behavior.  If and when he manages to subdue one of your hens he will breed her with possible serious injury.  Why wait until that happens to separate them?
I agree Sourland.. That's why I got rid of my drake as soon as he showed interest in them.. :/ He wouldn't touch my ducks.. Sigh.. I am always the one with species confused birds..

Thing is, female ducks do this too, don't they? At least I was told Muscovies do..

We have to build or buy him a separate pen. Otherwise, I have nowhere else to put him....that's why I was hoping I still had time. Either to build him a little home of his own, or find some kind of other shelter.

He shouldn't hurt them at night then? Maybe I will let him just wander about...and he will come back at night to go to the coop? But, then again, maybe it would be better to pen him up. My chickens like to hop their run once in a while...

I probably could sell him, but my kids love "her." Wait til they get home from school and I tell them what I've found out.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom