1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My Peking duck has a foot injury..but I don't know if it is a soft tissue or bone injury- or both ..

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by crycat, Jan 26, 2016.

1. crycat

crycat New Egg

Jun 29, 2015
    Sometime during the morning one of my female Peking ducks has received a rather serious looking injury to her foot. She is limping severely, tucking it under a wing when standing, and laying down more than usual- obviously to ease the pain. [​IMG] There is substantial swelling on top of her foot along her middle digit ( swollen to about 3x's larger than normal) and there is a large bulbous protrusion on the bottom of her foot- I am guessing it is a hematoma? - and it is the the size of half a golf ball. Perhaps her foot was squashed or even run over? The flock is free to roam around my property during the day. I missed my chance to crate her- I was going to take her to the vet right away but she got away from me when I was trying to put her in a carrier- she is still spry enough to run (limp) and flap away from me and I wasn't able to catch her again- of course they will go in their coop tonight and I could get her then- but that would mean a long time in a pet carrier..I tried to find information and images of different kinds of injuries to duck feet- but couldn't match her symptoms up to anything specific. I am 99.9% sure it isn't bumble foot- she was fine at 8:00a.m, then hurting by noon. So my dilemma now is- do I wait another day or so and see if it gets better-is it even something that can heal on it's own? Or should I get her to a vet right away even if it means sleeping (and pooping [​IMG] ) in a pet carrier for hours..? Has anyone seen the kind of injury I am describing - and if so how was it treated? (Thanks!!!)

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    She may have broken bones I think from what you have described if you can get her to a vet that maybe best. Just wait till morning go inside and catch her put her in the carrier then. I use pee pads or old clean towels when I have to crate one. Please let us know how she is doing.

Welcome to BYC!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by