My Pet Chicken Ghoulish Giveaway!

I think I'll be cleaning out the incubator and setting more eggs tomorrow. That way, I can be sure of winning.
Worked for me, @junebuggena , and until the egg storm I didn't even know how to incubate eggs in an incubator! Not sure I do yet - 29 eggs total in the first storm and I got 3 chicks. I did much better with the eggs I got from @RubyNala97 - lots of them hatched and I have 7 lovely little Silkies running around my yard at the moment.

I just posted this photo of two of them this morning. The one facing the camera is Smudge and the one facing away is Dufus. But doesn't it look like there's a mirror there and you're actually seeing Smudge's reflection?
gig.gif

Worked for me, @junebuggena , and until the egg storm I didn't even know how to incubate eggs in an incubator! Not sure I do yet - 29 eggs total in the first storm and I got 3 chicks. I did much better with the eggs I got from @RubyNala97 - lots of them hatched and I have 7 lovely little Silkies running around my yard at the moment.

I just posted this photo of two of them this morning. The one facing the camera is Smudge and the one facing away is Dufus. But doesn't it look like there's a mirror there and you're actually seeing Smudge's reflection?
gig.gif
do you think it has something to do with the elevation difference?

I wondered about that when it was first brought to my attention that it could make a difference, @DwayneNLiz but the eggs I won in one contest came from Colorado and were here within a couple of days. The ones I got from @RubyNala97 came all the way from New York, took a little extra time to get here, and when I checked the air cells on them those eggs were still so doggone fresh I couldn't even find the cells.....had to wait a few days and when they did "appear" they were very small. Can't remember exactly now, but think that only one or two had egg cells that were a little wobbly, only on one side, and they firmed right up. So I know some folks really think that altitude makes a significant difference. For me it was a difference for the better!

Of course, she gathered the eggs fresh from the nests, very carefully packaged them, and shipped them right away, and that helps tons too. No storage before shipping, and if she does have to store them for a day or so she has her own way to do that. So almost everyone who gets those eggs are thrilled with the hatch rates and the health of the chicks. I know I am, and will give her a sales plug any opportunity I can!

Edited to add: I forgot to mention that out of the 13 I got from Colorado, two hatched.

Last edited:
I lied. Yep, I did. Curiosity got me and went wading through the incubation of those eggs in my Blankie Fort thread. So if you're into "fact-checking", here ya go -

MPC order - Ordered 9 and got 15 because they had some issues with a couple of the breeds I wanted due to me ordering late, and sent me extras because I "was so nice about it." Whoa! Had to count them twice!

MPC giveaway - didn't win but @LocalYokel did and he kindly gifted me the dozen eggs he won. I actually received 13.

Won 3 Svart Hona eggs, which I then gifted to another member who had entered the same contest.

Those hadn't even hatched yet and I won another half dozen eggs......the shipper kindly sent me 11. Whoa again!

Out of those 39 eggs, I successfully hatched a grand total of 3. Yep, 3. Got one Olive Egger named LocalYokel out of the ones he gifted because I promised him I would, one Cream Legbar named Wilbur from the ones I ordered, and those all from MPC eggs. Then got one Naked Neck named Sluf (that was in an egg marked Australorp) from the contest I won the half dozen eggs in. So that's a total of 3 chicks.

Then I ordered a dozen from @RubyNala97 , and got 9 successfully hatched out of the 13 she sent. Lost 2 chicks very early after hatch, and lost the other eggs due to what I still believe was my error.

I ain't got the best track record, although the laughs and support from the Blankie Fort and other threads were invaluable. So I'll leave the egg-winning to those of you who can do this successfully!
lau.gif
In one post I said I'd taken nap and had a nightmare that I'd won American Idol, a show I don't even watch. And the prize was <gulp> hatching eggs! It just takes too long in our rural area to get eggs shipped in...usually an extra two days or so....so unless the eggs are gathered and shipped the day they're laid or the day after, I'm doomed before I even fire up the incubator.

Last edited:
Living in Hawaii doubt very much will win
hit.gif
but it's fun watching all your experiences & cheering you all on
big_smile.png
I entered but don't think MPC ships to Hawaii
barnie.gif
I remember Blooie's 'tidal wave' of eggs, good things happen to good people.
Good luck EVERYONE, just a few more days!

@ChickNanny13 What a nice thing to say! Thank you.....and yes indeed, good luck to everyone who has entered, a HUGE thank you to Alex and MPC for the eggs and chicks, to BYC for allowing the contest, and to all of you for all the laughs everyone has shared on the thread!

Back
Top Bottom