My Pet Chicken (Hatchery)

I'm happy that I didn't experience a box of dead chicks or similar, however, I have had a very time-wasting frustrating time dealing with this company. I thought I was ahead of the curve this season ordering 15 chicks in early December while not needing them until late February, as well as their Bungalow coop with an extra nesting box. I had a little difficulty due to the fact that their website wasn't user friendly and there was a page of their inventory I missed, but when I called they changed my order free of charge because of the understandable error and I thought I was doing great!
My coop arrived when expected and I promptly stained and weatherproofed the wood. I heard back from the company saying that, while they were currently out of extra nesting boxes, there'd be more in March. This was no problem since my birds wouldn't need the coop until after then.
Next I get a call two days before my supposed ship date of late February and am told that I won't be able to get my requested order for chicks until May and ADDITIONALLY I have to make compromises with the breeds at that time. I wouldn't be compensated for this delay or the breed change.
This, even after making sure that my order was in an entire season in advance! This was bad news and ultimately unacceptable. I talked to another hatchery and had to order a straight-run, but I got my desired breeds promised to me as good as shipped by the very next week. I canceled my chick order with MPC.
Now its early April and I've checked in several times to get the extra nesting box I need for my flock and have been turned away each time. I will have to buy an entirely new coop. I found a very similar coop with the two nesting boxes at for an even cheaper then the one-nest-box coop I purchased with My Pet Chicken, and it will arrive soon. I will have to sell the old one for a reduced price and re-stain and weatherproof the new one, but there are no other options for me based on the size of my flock and the space I have for my coop.
For the folks that are having a good experience with this company, I'm glad for you. At best they were a waste of money and time for me.

Is it me, or is it kind of odd that the Hatchery "My Pet Chicken" takes pictures of Meyers Hatchery and sells their birds? Also, the prices are unbelievably high.

What are peoples experiences with the "My Pet Chicken" Hatchery?
I can tell you that I ordered from them and it has been a great experience! All chicks arrived quickly, healthly, vigerous, and all survived. They have EXCELLENT customer service...even with my stupid questions. If you don't want to order 5 -15 of the same breed thay are who you want. You can order 1 of each of whatever so long as your total is enough to get them there safely.

My pet chicken has not improved. The accuracy is still questionable, and now if you find out you have a rooster by him crowing, you are most likely too late to report it. I ordered 4 chicks in June and 1 was a rooster. Since it was past 22 weeks they politely said enjoy your $33 rooster, we will not be refunding you. They are the only hatchery that offers a Favacauna so I couldn't have ordered it from anywhere else.

I ordered chicks from MPC in late February 2020 for the March 2nd hatching. All pullets, 3 Buff Orpingtons and 5 Easter Eggers of hatchery choice. They arrived on time, super well packed and all were very vigorous and healthy. So far they all seem to be female. While the cost was a little bit high, I was able to get the chicks at short notice and I saved money letting the hatchery chose from their exclusive Easter Egger breeds. This is my 5th time raising chicks in the past 6 years and I do have to say that these are the friendliest batch of chicks that I have ever had. There are a couple skittish ones, but most of them are super friendly and love to be held. I am super pleased with my chicks and think they were well worth the cost. When I need to order chicks again I will use MPC.

I thought MPC was fine, I guess...the first time we bought from them. Ordered six sexed bantams, the porcelain d'uccle died shortly after arrival. One of the polish developed scissor beak and died after a few months, but we thought we just happened to be one of the unlucky ones, as EE and polish are more prone to it anyway. 3 of them are still alive and healthy today.
So we ordered a second time. 6 chicks again. All are healthy, active and friendly, but....today I noticed the porcelain d'uccle has started to develop a scissor beak at only like a week old. I am incredibly pissed. Is this really just luck??? Are we cursed to never, ever own a porcelain d'Uccle??? I don't want to buy from a hatchery again honestly...what with the shipping stress and the defective birds we keep getting.

Last edited:
I ordered a dozen chicks from MPC and am anxiously awaiting their arrival. So far I am very pleased with their ordering process. I put the order in earlier this spring to be delivered mid-May when I realized I didn't want a repeat of last year. (Last year I picked out 7 chicks from a farm store during "chick days" in March. 3 of them ended up being roosters, one ended up not thriving and only making it a couple months. I was a little unhappy with that whole transaction. Plus I had chicks in my house in March and it was still pretty chilly when they were old enough to go outside.) While it is definitely not cheap to have them shipped, and I am very nervous never having shipped chicks before, I poured over all of the hatcheries that I could find and MPC was the only one who would let me order ONE sexed (female) chick of multiple breeds, as long as I met the minimum number of chicks for my location. (I like to be able to tell all of my laying hens apart if possible so I can name them, so I don't want even 3 or 5 of the same breed if I can help it.) I like all of the information on the MPC website with regard to egg colors, as well as their policy of refunding for incorrect sexing (I wish the farm store did that!), and lots of FAQs written up for first time shippers like me. I put my order in for 12 female chicks of various breeds, was happy to get most of the breeds I wanted in the mid-May hatch date for an average of about $10/chick (incl shipping).

Obviously I can't speak to the shipping yet or the chicks since I am not there yet. But per the MPC suggestion I spoke with my post office earlier today to let them know I'm expecting chicks next week and to ask what their usual protocol is. I'll come post again on this thread after I get them.

Update: My 12 chicks arrived last Wednesday! As of tonight they’re all still alive and seem to be doing great. As far as I can tell they are all the breeds I ordered, but I won’t be able to tell for sure for a few weeks...and of course sexes. So far I’d be happy recommending MPC!

Back
Top Bottom