My Pet Chicken (Hatchery)

djaousfarm

In the Brooder
Oct 30, 2016
Hessel, Michigan
Is it me, or is it kind of odd that the Hatchery "My Pet Chicken" takes pictures of Meyers Hatchery and sells their birds? Also, the prices are unbelievably high.

What are peoples experiences with the "My Pet Chicken" Hatchery?

I haven't personally ordered from MPC but it's my understanding they are a sort of "middle man"...they get chicks from various hatcheries and sell them. The only reason I haven't ordered from them isn't because of their chick prices (I don't think they're any better or worse than other places) but their shipping prices were too much for me.

A lot of folks have used them so hopefully someone will come along with more first hand info. Also, if you put My Pet Chicken in the search box, you'll find posts about them.

I pre-ordered my chicks from them for next spring and i got 7 chickens and that cost was around 20$ then the shipping put it up to 70$.Besides that they supposedly have great customer service and there website is really easy to use.

I like them a lot. I've had nothing but positive experiences with them, their customer service, and the accuracy of my orders. Alex, from @MyPetChicken has explained the relationship between them and other hatcheries very well. I'll see if I can find that post and share the link to it here.

When I was brand new to chicken ownership, I loved their site - tons of great info, very concise and well ordered. I also love their "how to tell a cockerel from a pullet" info better than any other. But, when I put together a possible order to check on price, shipping was astronomical (almost double my chick costs).

Last edited:
My Pet Chicken and Meyer Hatcher have a partnership that allows us to ship from their facility. We do own our own flocks and sell many breeds that they do not carry.

Thanks for tagging me @Blooie

Please let me know if I can answer anymore questions.

Alex
My Pet Chicken
Absolutely, Alex. Um, does this mean I can stop poking around looking for the thread where you explained that before?
lau.gif

I'll chime in also!! I purchased 15 chicks from them Jan 2017!! All are still thriving today(minus one buff who unfortunately didn't see that hawk)
AnywY, I am in Texas, and I was sooo worried about the shipping times and possibly opening up a box to dead chicks. All arrived in less than 24 hrs after they were shipped. I was constantly nagging MPC while they were in transit, and they kept reassuring me!! Felt good to have great customer service!!!

I can't say that I'm very happy with MPC. I ordered 7 day old female chicks from the company in the fall of 2017, two of which were their proprietary breeds (super blue egger-$30, blue favaucana-$28) that were super expensive, but we were only planning on a small flock, so I was okay spending a little extra money to get what I really wanted. I also ordered a barred rock, a black copper maran, an easter egger, a golden laced wyandotte, and an australorp, each $3-4. Oh, and shipping was $45!!! They were shipped on the date I had chosen and arrived at the post office two days later. Initially everyone looked happy and healthy. All were active- eating, drinking, pooping, etc. However, the next day, the "super blue egger" was starting to act lethargic. I picked her up to examine her, only to realize that she had 5 toes, which was not characteristic of the breed. I couldn't find anything obviously wrong with her, so i called mpc to alert them of the sick chick and that she was the wrong breed. The next morning she died, so it was still within their 48 hour refund window. While customer service was very nice, they kinda gave me the run around with the refund. First I had to send pictures of the dead chick...then they wanted pictures of each individual chick to "help me find which one was the super blue egger," which doesn't sound that bad, but every other chick I ordered was a brown or black chick. The super blue egger was the ONLY yellow chick in the bunch. They tried to tell me that this was a splash favaucana (which it wasn't- I had a blue chick that was obviously the favaucana), then maybe a salmon faverolle, which I hadn't ordered. I didn't really care what it was, I just wanted my refund. After 2-3 days of hassle, customer service finally issued my refund.
Ok, drama over...so I thought. The remaining six chicks were happy, healthy, and grew like crazy. My daughter's favorite quickly became the Australorp chick, who was very friendly and always willing to be handled. The golden laced wyandotte was SUPER skittish, but the others were reasonably friendly. All was good until the chicks were about 14-15 wks old, when I started hearing strange sounds from the coop...within a few days it was obvious that I was hearing someone's first attempts at crowing. Fantastic. Now I just had to figure out which chicken it was. Any guesses as to which chick it was? Yes, it was the very friendly Australorp...my daughter's favorite...AND the wyandotte. That's right...2 roosters out of 6 "hens" ordered. So much for MPC's 95% accuracy that they claim to achieve (67% is what I received)! So we didn't want roosters, but I was going to give them a chance. However, our Australorp went from a friendly chick to a MEAN rooster practically overnight. He would peck/bite any time I got near the food or the other girls. I had to wear gloves/long sleeves to prevent him from drawing blood. He crowed ALL THE TIME. The last straw was when, totally unprovoked, he attacked my daughter when she walked into the chicken pasture. Into the stock pot he went after that. The wyandotte has been much better behaved so far. MPC issued a refund for the 2 roosters ($8.15), but no credit given for shipping. All in all, I spent $132 for 7 chicks, including shipping. I was refunded a total of $36.65 for the dead chick and roosters, resulting in a final cost of $95 for 4 hens...yes...crazy, huh? Maybe one will end up laying golden eggs? Since we needed more eggs than the 4 hens will provide, I had to buy more chicks this spring from the local feed store... 2 ameraucanas and 2 welsummers...for the grand total of $14.
Believe it or not, I still wasn't all that put out with the company. I mean, mistakes happen, right? I had even considered ordering more chicks from them before I found the ones at the feed store. However, the final straw was when I left a review of the australorp on their website, which was somewhat negative, but they never posted it. Nothing bothers me more than a company that filters "product" reviews. It makes any reviews on their website useless. So, if you are considering ordering from MPC, just realize that they do not post all reviews, so you can't really trust the reviews for accuracy, shipping is terribly expensive and not refunded, even for their mistakes, and sexing accuracy is questionable.

Back
Top Bottom