What are the best hatcheries?

Farmgirl283420

Crowing
Feb 21, 2023
Hello! I’m wondering what some good hatcheries are! I’ve gotten 10 of my chickens from tractor supply and they all lived. Since hatcheries have so many different breeds I was thinking of getting some chicks from there. So which hatcheries have you had good experiences with and which have you not? Or should I just stick with getting chicks from tractor supply since so far the chicks I’ve got from there have done well?

1) Are you looking for a particular breed? Not all hatcheries have all breeds.

2) You are probably picking up chicks from TSC in person, and however many you want. Unless you have a nearby hatchery, they will be shipping the chicks to you. Some have minimum numbers for ordering. That number might be more than you want to buy.

3) Some hatcheries have "premium" birds, ie, rare, or show quality. They definitely charge more!

4) What you were really asking: I ordered my chicks last year from Mt. Healthy. If I order chicks again, it will be from Mt. Healthy. I got the breed I wanted, and the number of chicks I had room for. I did have to pay a "small order" fee of $30 because I only wanted 4 chicks. They included an extra, all were healthy, and I got them in the mail the day after they shipped.

When choosing a hatchery look for ones nearest to you. That often means a much shorter journey and less initial dead loss.

I am lucky in that there are at least 8 feed stores within 30 minutes of me. Most will do special orders as well. For me and my flock that has been the best option....I get the breeds I want, I don't have to be the one to open a box of dead chicks and I don't have to pay shipping.

1) Are you looking for a particular breed? Not all hatcheries have all breeds.

2) You are probably picking up chicks from TSC in person, and however many you want. Unless you have a nearby hatchery, they will be shipping the chicks to you. Some have minimum numbers for ordering. That number might be more than you want to buy.

3) Some hatcheries have "premium" birds, ie, rare, or show quality. They definitely charge more!

4) What you were really asking: I ordered my chicks last year from Mt. Healthy. If I order chicks again, it will be from Mt. Healthy. I got the breed I wanted, and the number of chicks I had room for. I did have to pay a "small order" fee of $30 because I only wanted 4 chicks. They included an extra, all were healthy, and I got them in the mail the day after they shipped.
Thanks this is helpful!

If you are looking for a nice hatchery I would go with Meyer Hatchery - but it depends on where you are located?
Agree w @Sally PB !

I have had good luck w Ideal, McMurray, and Mt Healthy. Mt Healthy had the friendliest chicks, the fastest shipping, and unbelievable customer service. The others were good as well, but I think they were above & beyond!
Thanks!

Mt Healthy had the friendliest chicks, the fastest shipping, and unbelievable customer service.
:thumbsup As I said, if I order chicks again, it will be from Mt. Healthy.
When choosing a hatchery look for ones nearest to you. That often means a much shorter journey and less initial dead loss.
This is very important. You want the chicks to get to you as quickly as possible.

Back
Top Bottom