What are the best hatcheries?

At least some TSC stores get chicks from hatcheries unrelated to Hoovers. I saw the boxes as they arrived from the post office. And asked about it; the TSC person in charge of chicks at that store said none of theirs come from Hoovers and where the chicks come from depends on where the TSC store is.

I didn't ask about ordering chicks through TSC's website. That specifies Hoovers and the chicks are shipped to your post office... I couldn't see why people would do that instead of ordering directly from Hoovers.

Cackle is the best. I have ordered from them for years and always have a successful delivery with usually zero losses. I always get healthy, vigorous birds that are eating and running around within a short time of being placed in their new brooder. I actually had an order ship out today from them :celebrate

Which hatchery is closest to you should not factor into your decision at all. A quality well-run hatchery will pack their babies well and have a fine-tuned shipping process to get your chicks to you safely. Mine go from MO to CA each year with no issues. Cackle will reschedule and risk disappointing you before they send birds out in bad weather that could be unsafe for chicks. It's happened to me only once.

Some of the other hatcheries practice dishonesty in their advertising. Some smaller ones steal pictures from others. Even some of the very biggest hatcheries mislabel birds. This includes my biggest pet peeve of all chicken pet peeves- selling people Easter Eggers and falsely claiming they are purebred Ameraucana. Or WORSE, claiming there is no such breed (they are APA recognized with a standard) and stating they are all just mixes. Bad business.
Thank you! This is good to know! Maybe I’ll get some chicks from there?

Thank you! This is good to know! Maybe I’ll get some chicks from there?
I cannot recommend Cackle Hatchery enough!! I don't think you will be disappointed with Cackle. My first order of 18 showed up today with 3 extras. All 21 babies arrived alive in 2 days. They are vigorous active babies. Within minutes of being placed in their brooder they were running between the feeder, waterer, and heat lamp. They've settled in nicely in just a few hours.

Also, if you are new to chickens Cackle has taken the time to create some amazing care instructions and videos to help you. They started including a pamphlet with live chick orders in the past few years, and if you read it front to back you will find success with your new babies. It has all the best hard-earned tricks and knowledge, like using warm water both immediately and through the first several days, to place feed on a flat surface like a paper towel on Day 1, how to use ACV in water, etc.

Cackle is SO NICE, this year I ordered TWICE.:lau I have more babies coming from them in 2 weeks. :wee

I cannot recommend Cackle Hatchery enough!! I don't think you will be disappointed with Cackle. My first order of 18 showed up today with 3 extras. All 21 babies arrived alive in 2 days. They are vigorous active babies. Within minutes of being placed in their brooder they were running between the feeder, waterer, and heat lamp. They've settled in nicely in just a few hours.

Also, if you are new to chickens Cackle has taken the time to create some amazing care instructions and videos to help you. They started including a pamphlet with live chick orders in the past few years, and if you read it front to back you will find success with your new babies. It has all the best hard-earned tricks and knowledge, like using warm water both immediately and through the first several days, to place feed on a flat surface like a paper towel on Day 1, how to use ACV in water, etc.

Cackle is SO NICE, this year I ordered TWICE.:lau I have more babies coming from them in 2 weeks. :wee
Wow! Sounds great! I’m gonna check them out!

Back
Top Bottom