my pet chicken reviews

One of our little troublemakers, Ancona rooster- Conan the Destroyer!

Our 8 week MPC update is that all the chicks which made it past those first difficult hours and days (20 out of 24) are now doing well and they are very pretty birds and we're having a lot of fun with them. The downside is that even though we ordered all females we have at least 3 confirmed roosters so far! All three of our assorted rare breeds are roosters, an Ancona, an Appenzellar Spitzhauben and a Sicilian Buttercup. I'm so disappointed. Adding the assorted rare breeds was to add well, assorted rare breed pullets to our flock! Wondering if our packer grabbed from the wrong bins, we didn't get a heat pack and the numbers on our packing slip were a little confusing too. The ancona has been crowing since 4 weeks and is already bothering the young ladies. The other two started crowing a couple weeks ago. Now I worry each day that we will get more new crowers!

The 3 silkies that made it are darling. The 2 assorted marans, buff orpington, blue (black) cochin are all super friendly. The faverolles and Easter eggers (one brown, one black/gray) are a bit skittish. One is either a cuckoo marans or a barred rock, she is very friendly. Everyone else is somewhere in the middle. Not sure what our next move will be since we have at least 7 less layers than planned now between the ones that didn't make it through those first few days and the emerging roosters!

:barnie   Now I know what it's like to receive a box od dead chicks. :duc

The post office 2 hours from my house (each way) called yesterday afternoon to see if I wanted to come pick them up there. I didn't have the ability to do that. So I picked them up at my local PO at 06:45 this morning. I expressed my anxiety to the worker who proceeded to lift the corner of the box and was overcome by a look of disgust and disappointment, which pretty much describes how I feel.

At this point, nothing I can do. I don't think I want to get a 3rd shipment of dead or dying chicks. 

And what happened to EXPRESS shipping, MPC?! Tracking said priority 3 day! :mad:  
That is horrible, I was so hopeful for you.
1f625.png

Thank you for the support! Like so many other things in life..... It is what it is.
hmm.png

On the upside, the rest of my flock are all doing well. Might get my first egg out of a barred rock pretty soon, she squats so fast when we just walk past her. It's exciting!
yippiechickie.gif

Thank you for the support! Like so many other things in life..... It is what it is. :/  

On the upside, the rest of my flock are all doing well. Might get my first egg out of a barred rock pretty soon, she squats so fast when we just walk past her. It's exciting! :yiipchick  
Eggs are always exciting. If you were closer I have plenty of chickens to share. Perhaps a hatchery closer to you might work better for you. I'm a state or two away and mine can take 3-4 day. Still really sorry.
1f61e.png

LL
One of our little troublemakers, Ancona rooster- Conan the Destroyer! Our 8 week MPC update is that all the chicks which made it past those first difficult hours and days (20 out of 24) are now doing well and they are very pretty birds and we're having a lot of fun with them. The downside is that even though we ordered all females we have at least 3 confirmed roosters so far! All three of our assorted rare breeds are roosters, an Ancona, an Appenzellar Spitzhauben and a Sicilian Buttercup. I'm so disappointed. Adding the assorted rare breeds was to add well, assorted rare breed pullets to our flock! Wondering if our packer grabbed from the wrong bins, we didn't get a heat pack and the numbers on our packing slip were a little confusing too. The ancona has been crowing since 4 weeks and is already bothering the young ladies. The other two started crowing a couple weeks ago. Now I worry each day that we will get more new crowers! The 3 silkies that made it are darling. The 2 assorted marans, buff orpington, blue (black) cochin are all super friendly. The faverolles and Easter eggers (one brown, one black/gray) are a bit skittish. One is either a cuckoo marans or a barred rock, she is very friendly. Everyone else is somewhere in the middle. Not sure what our next move will be since we have at least 7 less layers than planned now between the ones that didn't make it through those first few days and the emerging roosters!
That's unfortunate with the roosters. So far mine appear to be sexed correctly. Your Ancona is a pretty boy but sounds like he's trouble. Hoping no more roosters for you.

Eggs are always exciting. If you were closer I have plenty of chickens to share. Perhaps a hatchery closer to you might work better for you. I'm a state or two away and mine can take 3-4 day. Still really sorry.
1f61e.png
Ah, that's really sweet.
hugs.gif
Right now I have 29 chicks ranging from 2-19 weeks. I will be breeding my own come next year. Was hoping for some bantam to add interest to the egg basket.

I wonder if it's because they are bantam? This shipment was actually worse than the last, it took 1 day longer. Yes I will definitely look for some place closer if I decide to do mail order again (especially bantam). Not placing blame, just think I better make a better decision with the info I have available to me when the time comes. I did end up with 3 Silkies from a local breeder, was hoping for some EE's.

No worries!
smile.png

I have never lost standard breed chicks from MPC but have lost a few bantams every time I order them. I don't think they have the reserves that the big chicks do. I have had luck with their Cochin bantams, they are bit bigger than some of the other breeds. You have a good sized flock for the season with room to dream for more. I enjoy my bantam flock, they are so different than the standard.

:barnie   Now I know what it's like to receive a box od dead chicks. :duc

The post office 2 hours from my house (each way) called yesterday afternoon to see if I wanted to come pick them up there. I didn't have the ability to do that. So I picked them up at my local PO at 06:45 this morning. I expressed my anxiety to the worker who proceeded to lift the corner of the box and was overcome by a look of disgust and disappointment, which pretty much describes how I feel.

At this point, nothing I can do. I don't think I want to get a 3rd shipment of dead or dying chicks. 

And what happened to EXPRESS shipping, MPC?! Tracking said priority 3 day! :mad:  

My heart hurts hearing this!

For sure!
thumbsup.gif

Quick update.... As I was unpacking deceased chicks I noticed not one but many feces on the inside top of the box! That can only happen if the box is upside down.
rant.gif

We are happy with our current brood/ flock. It's a lot of fun to have a variety of breeds. I am learning more breeders in the area, for the future.

Back
Top Bottom