My Pie Crust Secret shhhhh!

dadthebaker

Chirping
8 Years
Nov 7, 2011
Los Angeles Area
LOL

Hello my Peeps!

I have recently been doing my pie crust a little bit different than I have for the last 15 years or so, and I gotta say, it works so well for me!

Instead of cutting the butter into little cubes and then incorporating them into the flour, I chill the entire block of butter in the freezer and then use a cheese grate to mince it.

Also, I chill the grater, bowl and flour.

This is a new technique for me and a great excuse for me to bake 10 more pies!!!

big_smile.png

Quote:
Takes practice to make a perfect crust.

Yes folks still use lard in pie crust. My Mom always, always use Crisco on all of her pie crusts.

Quote:
I go back and forth... on that... Most of the time I make straight butter....sometime Crisco/butter.

The ultimate secret to great crust is getting the "chunks" of butter the right size. I never realized this until I started making criossants from scratch.

The right size chunks of butter will melt and form air pockets that cause the dough to puff and layer into flakey crust...of course one must incorporate the right amount of water to help with the steaming process....

The balancing of these simple ingredients is what takes practice... Making pie crust is a simple process...but nobody ever said it was easy! lol

It's just in my head that all the foods I put in my Boys has the least preservatives and chemicals possible; hence my obsession with cooking and baking from scratch.

Plus, it's fun to amaze people by saying, "made from scratch"... *ruffling feathers and sticking out chest*... Ima proud Roo of my family!
big_smile.png

P.S. I dont deliver....however, you let me know when you picking up and the package will definately be waiting for you...100% promise!!!

Back
Top Bottom