My plans for the future-chickens, ducks, quail

Status
Not open for further replies.
I spent a lot of time around the quail when they were chicks, picking them up a few inches above the ground or letting them step on my hand, but all of them struggled whenever I handled them and are now very nervous birds.

I spent a lot of time around the quail when they were chicks, picking them up a few inches above the ground or letting them step on my hand, but all of them struggled whenever I handled them and are now very nervous birds.
Huh. As I said before, what happens happens! I'll just generally be happy to have quail.

I still haven't figured out jobs. Is it bad that I'm planning most of my life around getting animals?

I planned my life around getting animals, just didn't happen until "later." So it's not like it won't or can't happen. My first dog came just after I got married (literally, the day after the honeymoon). Chickens took many, many more years. We're talking about getting goats next (been thinking about it for 2-3 years) but still haven't pulled the trigger.

I planned my life around getting animals, just didn't happen until "later." So it's not like it won't or can't happen. My first dog came just after I got married (literally, the day after the honeymoon). Chickens took many, many more years. We're talking about getting goats next (been thinking about it for 2-3 years) but still haven't pulled the trigger.
I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one that plans around animals! My friends think that I'm crazy. Dogs are in the middle of my list. I love cats, so would like one of those earlier on. I plan on getting a small flock of bantams as soon as I can sustain them. I probably won't get married anytime when I'm younger-at the moment, my status on dating is: I'd die of shock if someone asked me out, so no dating would actually take place.
To get my fantasy property (Not much, just an acre of land that I can use) I'll probably need more than one income, or I'm really overthinking how expensive it is to exist as an adult.
I personally think that there couldn't be a better time to get new animals, we're in quarantine, so you've got plenty of time on your hands to get everything going.

To get my fantasy property (Not much, just an acre of land that I can use) I'll probably need more than one income, or I'm really overthinking how expensive it is to exist as an adult.

Probably depends on where you want to live. An acre where I'm at can be 200k, or 2 million, so location is absolutely key.

We're only getting by with one income because we don't have to pay for the house. Housing, whether renting or buying, is usually the biggest expense in any budget.

Probably depends on where you want to live. An acre where I'm at can be 200k, or 2 million, so location is absolutely key.

We're only getting by with one income because we don't have to pay for the house. Housing, whether renting or buying, is usually the biggest expense in any budget.
Yes-I'm still a bit confused on how that works. After you buy your house and pay off your mortgage (mortgage is a thing you pay off, right?) do you keep having to pay money on it aside from electricity and water bills etc? Is there another cost going on? I honestly don't care where I live. I'd prefer somewhere east coast, but that is just what I'm used to, and I know that the east coast can be petty expensive. It will also probably depend on where I go to college. Friends of mine want to go to Dartmouth, and others want to go to UNC. I haven't decided yet, as I'm still not sure of what career path I'd like to take. This will all happen in stages, probably being:
Stage One: I graduate college, and establish a secure income and place to live.
Stage Two: I get my small flock of bantam chickens, when I can comfortably sustain it.
Stage Three: I possibly move houses. I possibly add chickens, and maybe get a cat. I stay doing this for quite a while.
Stages Four to Six: (Idk what the order would be) I get married, get a large property (1 acre or not, but large enough for my bird plans) and make sure that I have a secure setup there.
Stage Seven: Chickens! I start my mass chicken operation, when I can comfortably do that.
Stages 8-10: (again, unsure of order) I get ducks, quail, and rabbits, when I can comfortably do that.
Stage 10: I live out my life, and possibly add more animals, possibly move houses, switch jobs, etc.
At some point in here I'd probably also add a dog, but I'm not sure when.

Yes-I'm still a bit confused on how that works. After you buy your house and pay off your mortgage (mortgage is a thing you pay off, right?) do you keep having to pay money on it aside from electricity and water bills etc? Is there another cost going on?

Ongoing costs, even if mortgage is paid off:
- annual property taxes
- homeowner's insurance
- HOA/neighborhood/association fees (if any)
- general maintenance and upkeep

:) Not trying to complicate things for you. I didn't really get it either when I was younger. I thought once your house was paid off you got to live for "free." Nope, no such thing.
I've been remembering health and car insurance and regular taxes, as well as water and electricity bills, but I completely forgot about homeowner's insurance and property taxes. Maybe I should move to Canada-sure, they have higher taxes, but also free healthcare!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom