My poor chicken is going bald?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by m_shuman, Sep 19, 2011.

1. m_shuman

m_shuman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    Springfield, GA
    She is an EE that is about 22 weeks old. At first I thought is was the rooster over mating her or the other hens picking on her but now I have noticed that her feathers are missing on her legs and under her wings? I have checked her for lice and mites and there are none. I even maade her a chicken saddle yesterday hoping it would at least keep from her back bleeding. The funny thing is she doesn't seem to have as much fluff as the other hens? Is is possible she is molting?? She is still laying me one beautiful green egg a day so I don't think it is that? Are there chickens out there that just don't have feathers or diseases the inhibit feather growth? I can't figure it out because It is only this one hen. The other 6 and both of my roosters have beautiful plumage? I want to help her but don't know where to start?

2. nizar

nizar Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2011
    low level of mineral, speicially zinc

3. Jen C

Jen C Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2011
    Oak Run, CA
    Is it possible that the other birds are picking her feathers? It is not uncommon for young birds to do this escpecially if they are crowded at all (not saying this is the case here). Quite often there will be one or two birds that end up being feather picked the most by the others.

4. nizar

nizar Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2011
    losing feather isn't problem at all.
    the best thing being bald that you are not gonna take them to barbar shop anymore.

5. m_shuman

Apr 22, 2011
    Springfield, GA
    Quote:Wouldn't all of my birds be losing feathers if it was a dietary issue? I feed them Layena layer crumbles mixed with oyster shell/eggshells and give them sunflower seeds and scratch as treats once a day. I also let them free range for an hour or two every afternoon.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2011
  6. m_shuman

Apr 22, 2011
    Springfield, GA
    Quote:I think the other birds are picking on her but I don't know if they could possibly have done all of this damage. Her back is completely bald and one of her legs is balding and so is under her wings and I noticed a patch by her butt this morning while she was dust bathing that looked like it was thinning. The birds should have planty of room they have a 20' by 10' hardwire enclosed run for 7 hens and 1 rooster to share and a 4x8 hen house with an 8' long roost and exterior 4'x2' nest boxes attached to the house.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by