my poor chicken

Lindachicken

Hatching
6 Years
Oct 17, 2013
My husband and I are new to backyard chicken raising. We had a chicken die about 2 weeks ago from a disease with a chirp like cough. About a week later one of my other chickens started becoming lethargic, stopped eating and drinking water, so we isolated her and have force fed her yogurt and water with a antibiotic in it. after 4 days she is no better and has started twisting her head to the side and upside down. We dont know what is wrong with her and what to do. any suggestions is greatly appreciated. thanks

Your chicken sounds like she has developed wry neck which is a symptom of head injury, a vitamin deficiency, or a disease such as Mareks disease. I would start poultry vitamins in her water, since Vitamin B, E, and selenium are good to treat it. I'm not sure why one chicken died from a respiratory illness, and this one is ill. Does she have any respiratory symptoms? How old is she and is she having diarrhea? How long have you had the chickens? Here is a link for treatment of wry neck: http://oureggbasket.blogspot.com/2013/04/wry-neck-or-crook-neck-understanding-it.html

thanks, my chicken does not look like the video clips of newcastle and not as healthy as the chicken with wry neck. We will start her on antibiotics tomorrow, its late tonight. It did seem strange because my husband and I are the only one inthe coop and this is a new built coop and this is the first group of chickens. They are such funny creatures with funny personalities. I hope this is the problem and vitamins the cure. I wont let the ckicken suffer if she does not get better. thanks Linda

We started her on vitamins and force fed her today but she became really bad and by the end of the day was laying down in her side barely breathing. We decided the best thing for her was to euthanize her. Its sad , I really liked her fiesty personality and she was always onthe go-her nickname was Ferrari. thanks to every one for the advice and suggestions. we are planning on cleaning out the whole hen house with disenfectant and hope that this is the end of it- Linda

Back
Top Bottom