My poor ducks leg! Any help would be appreciated

Daisy and Dalia

Hatching
Sep 25, 2019
Hi everyone! I currently have 2 ducks... daisy and dalia. Daisy about 2 1/2 weeks ago starting limping and at first it looked like nothing. She was still moving around pretty fast but just with a little limp. So I did some googling and found that it was probably just sprained and that I should just let her rest up and get lots of water time. So, I have done just that and it seems to be getting worse.

At first, she was still moving around really fast (like I still had to chase her to catch her to look at the foot). I examined the foot for bubblefoot and nothing. Nothing felt swollen and nothing felt broken. so I just put her in her pin and made sure she didnt have full access to the backyard like they usually do.

Cut too.... 2 1/2 weeks have gone by and her leg is so so so much worse. She can barely move it at all now. I still do not feel any swelling and I still do not feel anything broken. But she just can not move at all. Her foot looks like what I see on google when I google "ducks broken leg". but its just so strange to me that she could move it at first and was still running around and now its like she cant move it at all.

My poor Dalia (her sister) is super protective of her and does not like me picking Daisy up or coming any where near Daisy. She has rammed me several times trying to get me away from Daisy.

I am just not sure on what else I can do for her. I have a vet appointment for her but its not for another week... next Friday.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

It does sound like she’s injured possibly a fracture or maybe her hip. But it’s good you have a vet apt. Having someone do an examine is really the best. Being prey they will try hard to be as normal as possible to not draw attention of a predator. Keep her up till she sees the vet. She can have aspirin for pain an inflammation. I’d do warm soaks since that will help keep her muscle loose where cold water will tighten them up. Are you giving her any b complex? This can be support also. I’d feel up around her hip where her leg meets her body compare to the other one.

Last edited:
It does sound like she’s injured possibly a fracture or maybe her hip. But it’s good you have a vet apt. Having someone do an examine is really the best. Being prey they will try hard to be as normal as possible to not draw attention of a predator. Keep her up till she sees the vet. She can have aspirin for pain an inflammation. I’d do warm soaks since that will help keep her muscle loose where cold water will tighten them up. Are you giving her any b complex? This can be support also. I’d feel up around her hip where her leg meets her body compare to the other one.
Oh wow she can have aspirin! How much do you know how to give her? I will bring her in tonight and give her a warm bath. Do you think Epson salt would help like it does a person? I have not given her any b complex. I will go to the feed store today and grab her some of that as well! thank you so much for your help!

What breed? What do you feed and how old is she? Is she laying eggs?
She is an Ancona duck. She was laying eggs but has not been since her leg started acting up. Dalia has also stopped laying eggs since this whole ordeal so not sure if it’s just the time of year that caused them to stop laying eggs or the leg. She is a little over a year old. I got her as a duckling last April. She gets fed an All Flock feed and lots of fruit and veggies. We have a huge garden so she was just eating straight off the plants but now that she is in her pin I bring her fresh veggies and fruit every morning and night. Is there something else I should be feeding her?

She is an Ancona duck. She was laying eggs but has not been since her leg started acting up. Dalia has also stopped laying eggs since this whole ordeal so not sure if it’s just the time of year that caused them to stop laying eggs or the leg. She is a little over a year old. I got her as a duckling last April. She gets fed an All Flock feed and lots of fruit and veggies. We have a huge garden so she was just eating straight off the plants but now that she is in her pin I bring her fresh veggies and fruit every morning and night. Is there something else I should be feeding her?
Well a daily diet of extras isn't good actually and a balanced diet at 16% protein for Ducks is best so they don't get over weight. Mine get treats a couple times a week with about 2 hours of free range.
My Ducks and chickens eat a Grower finisher feed at 16% protein. It's for chickens, turkeys, Geese and Ducks
Possibly a sciatic nerve issue too?

All flock is a great feed it’s also formulated for all poultry. And fruit and veggies won’t hurt them. As long as it isn’t over 10% of their daily diet. I’ll get you the aspirin dose.

Dose of aspirin 25mg per lb or a 3 lb bird can have 1 baby aspirin
I am hoping @casportpony can give more info.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom