my poor flock

mego79118

Hatching
Dec 18, 2015
I am in need of some advise right now. We are trying to start our flock. I had 20 chicken now I am down to 14. My neighbors dogs will not stay in their yard. I went down last week and addressed after caught them out and on my property. She was so smart telling me maybe they should just shot all their dogs over it. She is a foster for panhanle pet savers. I love what she is doing to save all those dogs lives. But they are taking my chickens. When we let them out of the coop to free range is when it all happens. I know we could keep them locked up but how can you do that to an animal that loves their time out. Well today they got one of my roosters and a laying hen. Like I said this were not the first they have even killed two of my rabbits. Tonight I went to her door and showed her what her dogs are doing. I told her I was done being civil that we were talking matter into our own hands. After they killed my first rooster we called the sheriff out he told me we had the right to shoot if they were on my property causing harm. They paid me $15 dollars last week for my hen that had been killed. Tonight I wasn't even offered that. I'm ready to give up hope these are pets to us not just some bird. I am so upset we shouldn't have to take a dogs life to protect my animals.:mad:
:hit

You could install an electric fence. Because I would be angry I would set the fence on the highest setting, it won't kill the dog. I am sorry you have such irresponsible neighbors, but this might be the happiest solution.

I stinks when folks don't keep their dogs on their own property.
...BUT...
Ultimately it is your responsibility to keep your animals confined and safe from any predators.

Free ranging has it's risks. Were the birds ranging when they were killed or did dogs break into run/coop?

Are there leash laws in your area?
Ask the 'rescue' place if their fosters are supposed to be letting the dogs run free.

So sorry! I agree that "Good fencing makes good neighbors" BUT her animals need to be in her yard too. Your local Animal Control or the sheriff's department should be contacted if there's no other way. If it's some rescue group, talk to them. We built a good fence between our neighbor's property and ours, to keep our birds here and their dogs there. It saves a lot of grief on both sides. Electric netting or multi-strand electric fencing works very well if it's legal where you live. Goat fencing (4"x4" woven wire) on steel posts, especially with electric on top, is not horribly expensive. Mary

Last edited:
I am in need of some advise right now. We are trying to start our flock. I had 20 chicken now I am down to 14. My neighbors dogs will not stay in their yard. I went down last week and addressed after caught them out and on my property. She was so smart telling me maybe they should just shot all their dogs over it. She is a foster for panhanle pet savers. I love what she is doing to save all those dogs lives. But they are taking my chickens. When we let them out of the coop to free range is when it all happens. I know we could keep them locked up but how can you do that to an animal that loves their time out. Well today they got one of my roosters and a laying hen. Like I said this were not the first they have even killed two of my rabbits. Tonight I went to her door and showed her what her dogs are doing. I told her I was done being civil that we were talking matter into our own hands. After they killed my first rooster we called the sheriff out he told me we had the right to shoot if they were on my property causing harm. They paid me $15 dollars last week for my hen that had been killed. Tonight I wasn't even offered that. I'm ready to give up hope these are pets to us not just some bird. I am so upset we shouldn't have to take a dogs life to protect my animals.:mad:
:hit

I think I probably live in your area. You might call Panhandle Pet Savers office/main number and ask what their position is on this. I imagine you don't want to get into it any further with your neighbor, but maybe they can put out a general email about being good neighbors to their fosters, or even something a bit more pointed. I'm sure they don't want their fosters acting this way.

As others have said - electric fence, electric netting, build your birds a nice run (surrounded by electric wire), or shoot the dogs. The sheriff told you that you have that right. These are all things you can do to protect your birds since your neighbor obviously isn't going to keep the dogs contained. Oh, and yes - do call the rescue that they foster for and tell them that the dogs' lives are on the line if they don't keep them home. The sheriff gave you permission...

As others have said - electric fence, electric netting, build your birds a nice run (surrounded by electric wire), or shoot the dogs. The sheriff told you that you have that right. These are all things you can do to protect your birds since your neighbor obviously isn't going to keep the dogs contained. Oh, and yes - do call the rescue that they foster for and tell them that the dogs' lives are on the line if they don't keep them home. The sheriff gave you permission...
Great post, but I'd change the "or" to "and". In other words, build your birds a nice run (surrounded by electric wire), AND shoot the dogs.

No one wants to shoot a dog. Unfortunately, there are millions of dogs and many if not most of them do NOT have loving homes. This is a really sad thing and everyone should get behind spay/neuter options, but I digress... The law is on your side. You have contacted authorities, they say, shoot the dogs, I would suggest you do it. Yeah. Hard on the dogs and it is NOT their fault. However, now those dogs have killed chickens. What is next? The people who are "rescuing" these dogs (that is NOT RESCUE to turn them loose and allow them to roam) do not care about the dogs at all. (If they did, they would actually keep them confined.) You do care about your birds. If other people will not take responsibility, well, I'm afraid you will have to. I know it's tough; yes I've shot dogs. I've lost over $6,000.00 worth of livestock to dogs. I am not going to just sit here and worry about some stray dog; when one shows up and starts harassing the stock, I follow the triple S rule and that is the end of that.

Hey there mego79118

I am so very sorry to read that you are going through this
sad.png

I live in Aus, so I am not sure who Panhandle Pet Savers are and how they operate, but if she volunteers for them, as others have suggested, I would be reaching out to the organisation and advising them of the situation.

Kudos to her for what she is trying to do, saving the dogs lives, but I think letting them roam, attack and kill is probably not on the agenda of Panhandle Pet Savers and also not saving their lives.

If they consider her to be a good foster, they may assist with fencing and better containment etc.

Back
Top Bottom