My poor hen

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by grandmafarmer, May 25, 2012.

1. grandmafarmer

grandmafarmer Hatching

Apr 30, 2011
    I know this subject has been already discussed but I need some help. I recently lost 4 of my hens (neighbors dog) I now have two hens and one rooster. He has picked one of my surviving hens as his favorite.....she is bald on her back and yes I do have a saddle on her now but where her grabs her head is also bald. She looks terrible and I feel so bad for her. What should I put on her head? They are free range....I can keep her in the coop but it is not movable. I put the rooster up to give her a break. What if anything should I put on her (medicine?) Thanks for the help!

2. chfite

chfite Songster

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    If there is no open wound, I would not put anything on it. Otherwise, some neosporin ointment or blu-kote might help.

Chris

3. bug58

bug58 In the Brooder

May 19, 2012
    I don't know about others, but when my hens pecked on one hen in particular, I read some where to put a little vinegar in their water and they should stop, I didn't put it in the water, I poured a cap full on the hen that was getting pecked and they stopped--she no longer has bald spots and they no longer peck at her..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: