My Poor Henny Penny -00-

Jayare's Chicks

Songster
12 Years
Aug 25, 2007
Florence, Alabama
I have 11 chickens that are just over 3 months old and are too young to lay eggs yet and I thought the roos were too young to do their thing also BUT.....

I have a cockerel that hasn't even started crowing yet (at first it was supposed to be a Red Sex Link Hen but now I think it is a RIR or New Hampshire Red ROO) her name was Patty then we changed it to Paddy when we found out she was a he. Now we have changed his name to TESTICLEES!!!!! :eek: I have this one poor little pullet Henny Penny and she is always hiding from him. I found her in the coop under the feeder the other day so I picked her up and put her on the ground after all the others had gone out of the coop on their own after I opened the door for them. She wasn't on the ground more than 1 second and TESTICLEES was all over her giving her the business. He ain't easy with her and she does not like it. She squaks like you wouldn't believe. I moved her into a dog crate tonight and have her in the house by herself now.

My question is why is he all over this pullet and not paying any attention to the others and why is he so eager at this early age?

My Golden Pheonix cockerel used to be the top cock in the bunch and now it looks like TESTICLEES is asserting himself as the lead roo. I have planned on making 2 or 3 more coops/tractors in the next month or so before they get to laying/breeding age but does this mean I need to get them built now and seperate the breeds so my standard chickens are seperated from my 4 Phoenix? Do I need to pen up the roos seperate from the hens untill after they start laying?

Someone plese give me some advice here because I am learning as I go and these are my first chickens I have ever had and I just got more little chickies from the hatchery last week and I don't want to have this problem with them also in a few months.

Jayare

I have a bantam flock and the rooster is doing the same thing. He has one girl i knew was his favorite....but it was just this week that i realized he seems to be a monogomous rooster
roll.png
I noticed yesterday that she is trying to get away from him like your is doing. When it was warm here during our january thaw, she was all covered in mud, while the rest were clean. I was thinking of taking her out this weekend. I could take her out as an option when i first let them out of the coop, to make hime look at the other girls. Thats the best i have come up with so far, and i am going to try it sunday because i have to leave for work this am.

Well, there are several ways one could handle it.

Since he is a surprise rooster, maybe you don't want him and should cull him from your flock.You could try and rehome him or.....ya know.

You could have him in seperate housing and maybe he will become a gentleman with time..maybe not I don't think there is anyway to know for sure...he is young so???? If you seperate the hen from the flock that is hardly fair to her and besides he may choose another to pick on.
D.gif

What he needs is a dominant roo to teach him manners.LOL! Let him know he's not all that and allow him time to observe how a proper roosters cares for his ladies.
love.gif

That's all I can think of at the moment.

Good Luck!!
fl.gif

What he needs is a dominant roo to teach him manners.LOL! Let him know he's not all that and allow him time to observe how a proper roosters cares for his ladies.

Thats what I was gonna say. GIve him a little push with your foot if he tries to do that in front of you. If not, you might have him all over you eventually....

Poor little hen!
smile.png

Why does he ONLY go after this hen? She has a few other pullet/hens out there that are the same age also and he never tries to mount them. Is she putting out a scent that the others anrn't yet or what?

Last night we decided to put her back out in the coop with the others and bring in Testiclees. We thought it would be better for her to get to still socialize with the other chickens and make him be by himself for a bit. He has started crowing now too. He sounds a little squeeky and he seams to be getting a little better at it after each time he crows.

Jayare

Back
Top Bottom