My poor Hens are dying. I think it is Face Mites, but the treatments aren't working.

RowanDaleAE

Hatching
7 Years
Sep 26, 2012
Up until last week, I had a flock of 18 hens and 1 rooster. Most of them were half Americauno and Cochin but from a Rhode Island Red rooster. A few were pure Americauno. This has been a horrible Summer any way. I lost Daddy Rooster to overheating during the great black out of the Summer. We were without power for a week at my home and without water for several days. I lost my favorite Leghorn Rooster to raccoons. Someone stole my Cochin hen during the black out and I lost another hen and rooster to other unknown things.

I free range my flock every other day. They get DE and garlic in their food. I dust the chicken yard, which is 16x16 with DE, as well as their coop. They get fresh veggies and herbs, laying mash and occasional meal worms and scratch for treats.

Last Thursday, I noticed that one of them looked like her eyes were a little puffy, or I should say the skin around her eyes. By Friday, a bunch of them looked like that. I thought it was eye worm, because one of them looked as though she had discharge. With the mild Winter that we had, I have been battling mites on chickens and fleas on cats and dogs all Summer. I finally broke down and used sevin in the coop because there were about a hundred spiders in there. I enlisted some help from my family, to go in and treat everyone whose eyes looked funny with VetRX. The next morning one of my hens was dead and the others eyes were getting worse. I did more research and it looks like it must be face mites. I used ivermetcin 1% solution, 4cc per gallon in their water for 48 hours. Every morning they would get up and look even worse. Most of them have eyes completely shut and all they want to do is sleep. I applied vaseline in hopes that it would smother the mites and they could open their eyes. I have swaddled each and hand fed them vitamin E and eggs. I have put a booster of omega 3 in their food. I have given them water from a syringe to make sure they are hydrated. I have recleaned the coop, sprayed it down with sevin, changed out all the cedar chips and they are still getting worse. I have now lost 6 hens since Friday. The hens faces don't really look crusty. They skin is raised and looks more like they have developed weird wrinkles. I have kept hens for 5 years now and the only problem I had was raccoons and once a nasty rooster that killed my favorite hen. My Roo and 4 of my hens look like they are alright and a couple others can still see, but the skin around their eyes is affected. I am at a loss! I love my girls and I don't want to loose any more. Am I doing something wrong? Has anyone else had this problem? Any advice would be wonderful. I am a healer and it is just making me sick that I can't seem to make them better. :(

I would treat them with antibiotics, you may not be dealing with mites at all. Swollen eyes and faces could be a sign of Corzya. Do a google search of this and see if it matches what you are seeing in your birds.

It really sounds like you've tried everything. I think your doing good and since the other treatments didn't work I would have your local vet do an autopsy on one of your birds. They will probably want the most recently deceased. I'm sure rates will vary ,but our local vet charges around $30. It may be worth the price to get a handle on this terrible problem. God Bless your flock.

I have looked into coryza, but I don't think that is what it is. They don't have any discharge or labored or rattling breath. It is like, since they can't open their eyes, they just want to sleep and they are wasting away. The problem is it is happening so fast. I have called my local Extensions Office and hopefully the AgroGuy, as they call him, will get back to me today with some help and possibilities. The growth on their faces is not crusty or anything, but it is so immense they get to a point were they can't open there eyes at all. It is just happening so fast!

These are the best pictures I could get. I was trying not to use flash to get a more true color. These hens looked perfectly normal last Thursday and this is the state of them as of this morning.

Oh gosh, poor girls! I wonder if it's a really severe case of fowl pox? I'll look around on the net to see what I can find that compares, but hopefully in the meantime someone will jump in here that might have a better opinion.

It looks like fowl pox going by the photo's I don't think there is much to treat it apart from a vaccine that they need before they get it which won't be much help now
sad.png
it usually strikes chickens with a low immunity from what I have heard so they may not all come down with it fingers crossed or they may be able to fight it off, I would cull any that are showing the severe signs that you have posted in the photos, are their feet the same? it usually grows on the featherless parts of the birds and in their mouth.

I spoke to the Extensions office and after giving a description to a member of the Department of Agriculture, they think that my hens have contracted a Mycoplasma. I am suppose to start them on tetracycline and hopefully it will help. I will give it a try, but from looking at the offered description, I don't think it sounds like it. I don't think I would describe what is going on with their faces as eye bubbles. I will give it a try, though. If it helps, it will be worth it.

Back
Top Bottom