My Poor Jan is Sick! Eggbound??

goldtopper

Songster
9 Years
Oct 15, 2010
Near Bert Blyleven
My 26 week GL Wyandotte is just not herself. After laying 8 eggs in 9 days, no eggs for four. She been moving slow, eating little, drinking ok; she's been in and out of the nest box several times to no avail. Her breathing is a little bit labored.
I'm treating her as if she's eggbound- though there have been partial eggs pooed out and shelless. Her butt's been runny and yellowish.
I've been setting her in nice warm baths for 1/2 hour periods. She loves it and snoozes!
I greased her hinie and put my finger in as far as it would go- just felt a few small (1"?) "balls" that I assume were eggs in the making.
I put out oyester shell in case she's low on calcium, though I am feeding her layer with added calcium.
Anything else I can do?

I had one lay the soft shell insides and a tiny piece of softshell recently. She was totally not herself. I gave her the bath, oiled up inside her vent real good with olive oil and fished around quite a bit until I found a big portion of the softshell and guided it out. That perked her right up. During the bath, I always try to get a little crushed plain aspirin and calcium in water in them with a dropper. You can crush up a Tums or calcium supplement and add to some cat food or something else she can't resist. Oiling up the vent is the best way to expidite an egg, a bit of aspirin to reduce swelling and some calcium so she has energy to push. When I felt around inside, I had to go around the perimeter so to speak. It helped that she began pushing because there are alot of ways things can get out of alignment in there especially when they're starting to prolapse like mine was. I'd be willing to bet you have a soft shell in there.

Back
Top Bottom