My poor roo has to be gone in 7 days!!

silkiefluffbum

Hatching
10 Years
Oct 14, 2009
Just when i thought the neighbours wouldn't complain...
I just got a letter in the mail saying my lovely rooster Mr. Cornelious has to go in 7 days before a coop regulations inspection!
I just lost my only 2 chicks that Mr. Cornelious and my broody hen Fluffbum that hatched a couple of days ago. I found them dead when i went to go say hello to them in the morning
hit.gif
Whatever i did they would never eat or drink and Fluffbum never got off them to show them food... I just wish i tried harder
sad.png
R.I.P Fluffy and Summer.

I thought we would be able to have a another go at raising chicks but now we won't have a chance unless Mr. Cornelious fertillizes Fluffbum's eggs within 7 days! I don't have a chance
sad.png

Any ideas how to change their minds?? I'm not sure which neighbour complained but when i find out it's war!

Last edited:
First, are chicken legal where you live? How about roosters?

I am a bit cionfused about what you mean by "my lovely rooster Mr. Cornelious has to go in 7 days before a coop regulations inspection!" Do you mean that he has to be gone from your residence before a scheduled inspection, or that he must appear at this inspection (which presumably will determine whether you will be allowed to keep him or not)?

What is anything have you done to prevent him from being a nuisance--with roosters the complaint is usually noise? If you sound and light proof the coop, and keep him inside it from dark to mid-morning the noise issue should resolve itself. Of course that does not deal with him being illegal (if he is).

If the hen has not been brooding long enough, it is not uncommon for chicks to not arouse her maternal instincts. If she is brooding, she is not laying eggs. Any time you see a mama hen ignoring her chicks you need to remove them and hand raise them. Her job is to hatch and rear her chicks--if she is not doing so, they need a mama who will take care of them. I am sorry for the loss--sometimes life-lessons are painful.
sad.png

One thing you can do when a broody hen is still on eggs and some chicks have hatched is to put food and water in the nest.

Are any eggs under the hen viable (have you candled them)?

Yes, I'm confused about whether this is just the neighbors complaining or a legal issue, too! Are you not allowed to have roosters where you live by law? If you are allowed to have roosters and it's simply your neighbors complaining, I'd think it would be within your rights to keep him.

Regardless, I hope you find a solution so you can either keep Mr. Cornelious (I have a male guinea fowl named Cornelius!) or find him a good home.
sad.png
It's always so sad to have to say goodbye to flock members, regardless of the circumstances. I'm so sorry to hear about your chicks, too! I have two serama chicks that my serama hen hatched a few days ago and I love those little fluffies. I would be devastated if something happened to them.
hit.gif

Back
Top Bottom