My poor Rooster. :(

I came home from work last night to find out that the neighbor's dog took off with my rooster. My fiance was in the middle of feeding them and didn't match the gate on the run right. .

To make it worse, I found feathers in my yard when I came home from work today. Then when I went to check on the hens just now,. I stepped out the door and stepped on jack's carcass.

I started getting upset. My mother in law said, oh well you have to clean it up. ( She's staying with us BC of hurricane Florence evacuations). But after that heartless comment I'm ready to kick her to the curb. I'm devastated.

My fiance says.. it's ok we'll get another one.
Why doesn't anyone understand the point? That I lost a pet that I was attached to. I'm so distraught over it.

How or where do I even get another rooster when I'm ready?
I don't want to start from a chick . That's so much work but honestly.. If I did, I'd buy more pullets just to make myself feel that much better.
Oh No, not little Jack! I'm so sorry to hear about this:hugs

Some people do not view chickens as pets, so it's hard for them to understand how you feel about them.
I don't share much about my chickens to non-chicken keepers (my family)-these birds don't interest them, so they don't really realize that we can get attached to certain ones. Chickens are fairly easy to get, so they think you can replace them and all is well.

Give yourself a little time, then decide if you want another rooster. When you are ready, check your local chicken facebook groups, you may have a breeder close by-do some asking around at your feed store and look at craigslist.
I was heartbroken when I lost mine last year, it was already into fall-I did want another one and considered getting one off craigslist/local, but decided I would wait. I hatched eggs this spring and to my surprise ended up with only one cockerel out of the bunch-so....I suppose for the moment, he's the fella for me:)

I'm so sorry for your loss. We just lost our roo. And the worst part is my son was the one who found him. He is only 9 and cried all day. People just don't understand how heartbreaking it is to lose them. They could atleast show a little compassion.

I'm so sorry that you had to deal with that, it is so hard to lose a pet, no matter what kind. 2 out of 3 of my black silkie babies turned out to be roosters. We have tried to find a nice pet home for them as we have neighbors and the chicks were "promised" to be hens. But at this point I'm way too attached to both of them and I am figuring out a way to keep them. Our chickens are our pets, they aren't there for food or just as livestock. Most people don't get it, they just suggest making a chicken soup. So I understand and I'm sorry for your loss. When you are ready to get a new rooster, the good news is that you can often find unwanted roosters or cockerels at a lot of feed stores or even on craigslist.

I just realized these are the chickens you brought in the house because of the hurricane? Jack was in the crate next to the girls?

I am so sorry for your loss. Mine started out for eggs but I got attached really fast. They are most definitely pers and a part of the family.
Yeah, that's the one .Two days after I brought them back out. Boom. Gone. I miss the crowing so much. :(

Oh No, not little Jack! I'm so sorry to hear about this:hugs

Some people do not view chickens as pets, so it's hard for them to understand how you feel about them.
I don't share much about my chickens to non-chicken keepers (my family)-these birds don't interest them, so they don't really realize that we can get attached to certain ones. Chickens are fairly easy to get, so they think you can replace them and all is well.

Give yourself a little time, then decide if you want another rooster. When you are ready, check your local chicken facebook groups, you may have a breeder close by-do some asking around at your feed store and look at craigslist.
I was heartbroken when I lost mine last year, it was already into fall-I did want another one and considered getting one off craigslist/local, but decided I would wait. I hatched eggs this spring and to my surprise ended up with only one cockerel out of the bunch-so....I suppose for the moment, he's the fella for me:)
Thanks. A lot of people who know me know how attached I am to the chickens. Most understand. I thought my fiance was one of them. But he seems to think just getting another one is fine . I'm gonna get another one, I just have to find out where. Meanwhile, it's quiet now when I leave for work At 530 in the morning. :(

I'm so sorry for your loss. We just lost our roo. And the worst part is my son was the one who found him. He is only 9 and cried all day. People just don't understand how heartbreaking it is to lose them. They could atleast show a little compassion.
I know the feeling . My 2 1/2 year old daughter saw the dog snatch him and run off :(

Back
Top Bottom