My poor silkie needs help!!

I still can’t help but think it’s her feed maybe? I was feeding her laying pellets/crumbles for the longest time then I decided to change my birds feed to some kinda mixed seeds with corn, sunflower seeds, nuts, and all kinds of random stuff in it ( here’s a picture of the new feed)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    697.9 KB · Views: 1
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    704.8 KB · Views: 1
I still can’t help but think it’s her feed maybe? I was feeding her laying pellets/crumbles for the longest time then I decided to change my birds feed to some kinda mixed seeds with corn, sunflower seeds, nuts, and all kinds of random stuff in it ( here’s a picture of the new feed)
I had just changed her to this new feed whenever she got sick, so maybe it was something to do with that or maybe it was just coincidence?

I would switch her back to the layer feed as soon as possible, as well as your other birds, that does not look like a sufficient diet for chickens. They need the nutrients and calcium that layer feed provides. I would guess that the food change is what is causing this, or at least started it. Try to get some layer feed and soak a bit of it and try to get her to eat it to get the nutrients. Without the specific amounts of vitamins and nutrients that feed supplies, the birds will become deficient and weakened and could die. I’d also continue trying to get her to eat some egg, as well as some nutridrench or something. Best of luck.

I would switch her back to the layer feed as soon as possible, as well as your other birds, that does not look like a sufficient diet for chickens. They need the nutrients and calcium that layer feed provides. I would guess that the food change is what is causing this, or at least started it. Try to get some layer feed and soak a bit of it and try to get her to eat it to get the nutrients. Without the specific amounts of vitamins and nutrients that feed supplies, the birds will become deficient and weakened and could die. I’d also continue trying to get her to eat some egg, as well as some nutridrench or something. Best of luck.
I’m guessing that could’ve caused it, but it’s highly unlikely that she would get so sick so fast. Unfortunately, she held on for about a week before she passed. I tried everything from vitamins/minerals, electrolytes, antibiotics, giving her Epsom salt bath, but she just kept getting worse. On her last night she kept walking backwards? She just kept backing up.

I use poultry store herb mixes and water down the food and put that in there i overdose it quite a bit along with garlic and ACV in the water. For crop issues i soak some bread with olive oil. Usually all that in combo will push anything out. Good luck with it all
I tried vitamins, minerals, electrolytes, I tried the bread and olive oil thing, I tried putting her on antibiotics. Poor girl held on for about a week before she passed. She kept backing up a little bit on her last night.

I’m guessing that could’ve caused it, but it’s highly unlikely that she would get so sick so fast. Unfortunately, she held on for about a week before she passed. I tried everything from vitamins/minerals, electrolytes, antibiotics, giving her Epsom salt bath, but she just kept getting worse. On her last night she kept walking backwards? She just kept backing up.
Sorry to hear you lost her, vitamin E and selenium deficiencies can cause walking backwards, wry neck, etc but I’m not and expert. Hoping your other chickens stay healthy 🫶

Sorry to hear you lost her, vitamin E and selenium deficiencies can cause walking backwards, wry neck, etc but I’m not and expert. Hoping your other chickens stay healthy 🫶
Thank you, I don’t know if it was a vitamin deficiency, but I know my other little rooster walks backwards sometimes and also sideways but he’s been doing that since he was little I tried to give him the vitamins too, but nothing seems to help. But other than walking kind of funny, he seems fine. Maybe he didn’t get much nutrients in the egg or maybe the egg was damaged somehow? I don’t know I got him from tractor supply/a feed store so I don’t know much about his parents are what happened to him

Thank you, I don’t know if it was a vitamin deficiency, but I know my other little rooster walks backwards sometimes and also sideways but he’s been doing that since he was little I tried to give him the vitamins too, but nothing seems to help. But other than walking kind of funny, he seems fine. Maybe he didn’t get much nutrients in the egg or maybe the egg was damaged somehow? I don’t know I got him from tractor supply/a feed store so I don’t know much about his parents are what happened to him
Thank you, unfortunately, she passed about a week into it. By the time I read all this information/ realized I should change her feed back. She didn’t end up making it. Something else might’ve happened because she was a pretty healthy bird otherwise. I only had her on the new feed for less than a week before she gets sick.

Back
Top Bottom