1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My poor Speckled Sussex :-(

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by woodmort, Aug 13, 2011.

1. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    She's gone broody and I don't want or need chicks at this time of year so she is trying to incubate 3 Titlists. I could use some new golf balls though, so I'll let you know how this works out.

2. Amyable

Amyable Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Greenleaf, WI
    Good luck to your hen. I've never seen baby golf balls. Are they the size of peas or BB's?

3. 7&8

7&8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2010
    Maine
    Funny! You could really enjoy your retirement if she hatches those things out...[​IMG]

I have a LF Barred Rock who went broody a few days ago. I'm done with chicks for the year. And, speaking in golf terms, the only two hens of laying age besides her played through. Each made a birdie, landing their balls, er, eggs, in the broody nest. With the broody in it. After a fashion, the broody hen was quite pleased. The eggs are in the fridge now.

Good luck with yours; I'm not sure what's going to become of mine...[​IMG]

4. cherylcohen

cherylcohen The Omelet Ranch

Sep 18, 2009
    SF East Bay CA
    I'd kick her out of the nest, take the balls away and continue to kick her out of the nest or put her in another pen where there isn't a nest box.

Sitting on golf balls will just continue her broodiness

5. Elphaba2140

Elphaba2140 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2010
    Northern Illinois
    LOL. I have a Buff Brahma (bantam) that has been sitting since July!! I cannot tell you the number of times I have been bitten. She has been working on a purple marble carved egg. I think it's a quitter. [​IMG] but she won't give it up.

6. 7&8

7&8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2010
    Maine
    Hmmm, now I'm curious. [​IMG] Why give the hens something to sit on if you don't want them sitting?

7. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    7&8 :

Hmmm, now I'm curious. [​IMG] Why give the hens something to sit on if you don't want them sitting?

I really don't care as I'm taking 10 - 12 dozen eggs to the food bank each week so one egg a day less isn't going to bother me. The golf balls, BTW, were in the nest before she started--I have 8 nesting boxes all with a couple of golf ball in them so the rest of the birds have plenty of laying places. One thing is that she is very gentle--I just lift her up to take any eggs left there by the other hens and let her settle back down on her "eggs".​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by