My Poultry Journey

I Love Layers

Crowing
5 Years
Apr 25, 2015
I started my poultry journey in April 2013.
My first poultry were 2 surprise Pekin ducklings from a friend of my moms.

First day with the ducklings

Week 1 with the ducklings

I am not sure how old they are in the next pictures.

I was going to show these ducks in 4H that year.
But sadly a raccoon got them about 3 weeks before the show..

Here is a picture of me and the raccoon

Our 1/2 Great Pyrenees was still to young to go outside yet to keep the coons away.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The next year in March 2014 I got 8 ducklings.
4 Pekins, 2 Black Swedish, and 2 Rouens
I do not have any pictures of them when they were younger..

At the end of May 2014 we moved to my great uncles ranch who had passed away the year before, we had stayed out there in the summer of 2013. But where we lived we were next to a highway so our fog could not be outside at night until we moved.

We built them a pen out at the ranch, but we still had to keep them in the machine shed since the old grainery was not fixed up yet.

As you can tell here our 1/2 Great Pyrenees is now full grown and since we moved she can be outside at night!!
celebrate.gif

On June 5 I got my first chickens, from the same place I got my first ducks!!
I got ...
3 Partridge Chantecler Pullets- Copper, Delilah and No Name
3 Buff Chantecler Pullets- Penny, Goldilocks and No Name
3 Easter Egger Pullets- Nancy, Obsidian, and Galaxy
2 Favorolle Pullets- Ollie and Livi
1 Buff Chantecler Rooster- Ralph

I was gone for one week at IMC and my mom was not the best bird watcher and thought that they did not need water overnight when it was 105 degrees, so one of the Buff Chanteclers died..

Later in June I showed 1 buff chantecler pullet, 1 partridge chantecler pullet, 1 pekin drake, and 1 pekin duck.

I got 3rd and 5th place pullet, and 1st place drake and second place duck.

Some fun with the ducks and chickens, I had lots of younger cousins over in July and August

^^ Definitely one of my favorite pictures

In August my rooster, Raph drowned in a stock tank.
I thought one of my partridge chanteclers, Delilah, was killed by a coon or hawk, but instead in September I heard peeping under a wheelbarrow!! Ralph has heirs!

Here she is in a cage with the chicks and eggs not hatched under her.

In September I went to a sale and bought 5 guineas, 2 indian runner ducks, 1 indian runner drake, 1 catalana hen, 1 bantam easter egger hen, 1 rhode island red hen, and 1 unkown rooster.

PICTURES FROM OCTOBER 2014

NOVEMBER 2014

Giant Duck Egg!!
With an egg inside an egg!!
ep.gif

I don't have any pictures from 2015 so I will just type now.

In the spring I got rid of a bunch of chickens including all of Delilahs chicks but 1 rooster, and most of my first chickens.

In April 2015, I bought 5 Silver Laced Wyandotte chicks, 5 pearl white leghorn chicks, 5 easter egger chicks, and 5 Barred Plymouth Rock chicks.

In July 2015 I bought 2 Buff Silkie chicks, 2 blue silkie chicks, 5 Red Sex Link Chicks, 5 Black Star Chicks, 1 Mille Fleur chicks, 1 bantam black frizzle cochin chick

In November 2015 a Leghorn hatched 3 eggs. 1 ended up being a hen, the other 2 roosters.

In Spring of 2016 I sold ALL my ducks but 2, both my guineas, and 4 black sex and the hen my leghorn hatched.

On May 5, 2016 I bought 2 LF Blue Cochins, one was a frizzle cockerel and the other was a smooth pullet

I showed the Cochin Pullet, along with an egg production trio of red sex links, a black frizzle bantam cochin cock.

I got Grand Champion Senior Showmanship, Grand Champion Breeding Poultry, 1st place cockerel, 1st place trio, and 1st place pullet

Back
Top Bottom