MY POULTS ARE DYING PLEASE HELP

itsjustme

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 5, 2013
Indiana
They are just over a month old. I've lost 2 of my 6 for no apperent reason. I've looked up every disease and illness I could find. They show no signs of illness. Yesterday I went to take them out of the brooder to put them in the day pen and 1 wad dead :( I moved them outside checked them all out made sure they were all eating and drinking. They were all very active but then later in the day another died. When I put them up in the evening 1 was acting very sleepy. I am not sure if he's sick or was just sleep from an active day outside? I had one from the time I got them at just about 3 days old who was like the rest very active ate and drank but in the evening when it was time for bed could hardly keep his eyes open but if the other chicks got up moving about and disturbing him he would just get up and join them. I wasn't thinking illness but should I have been? And if it was illness why did 2 that showed no signs die suddenly and he not? This is the 1st time I've lost birds to possible illness I'm at a loss as to what to do. And hearbroken that I'm loosing them. Could it be heat related ? The temps in my area have not been to high but the humidity sucks. I've been trying to research for the last 2 days but like I said they don't seem to have an illness. I looked at their droppings and through numerous droppings online to compair and they look normal. They sound fine no congestion sneezing wheezing etc. They don't look pale. No weight loss. Please does any one have any ideas?

What size brooder are they in?

What kind of bedding are you using?

Where is the brooder located?

What are the temps in the brooder?

Why are you moving them inside and outside like that? Where is this other "pen" and describe this pen and where it is located?

Are they on soil?

ditto on the OP

we had 3 die on us the other night......5 weeks old, not in a brooder, temps at night in the low 70's. In a large 3 sided pen with a roof and run. Ground and roosting bars available and being used........we have had several storms in the area and the night they died it stormed with lots of rain......sometimes they dont get out of the run.......i fig 5 weeks and fully feathered was fine to be out in the weather.....am i wrong?

What size brooder are they in?

What kind of bedding are you using?

Where is the brooder located?

What are the temps in the brooder?

Why are you moving them inside and outside like that? Where is this other "pen" and describe this pen and where it is located?

Are they on soil?
my first brooder was an extra large dog crate in my living room. When they started to outgrow it I put them in my 8x10 coop. I took them outside during the day for fresh air and sun shine. My coop has a window but it doesn't open and it has vents but it gets pretty warm during the day and exceeds the outside temps. The day pen is called a hot box. Its a huge wire cage on legs so they aren't on the ground at all. I lost 3 out of 6 and the 3 left have no issues.

Ben Richard,

Your predicament sounds like the old turkey-drowing myth. Supposedly, because turkeys have such slim airways through their nose, when they look up into the rain their airways fill and thus cause them to drown. I don't think it has ever been scientifically proven (granted I've never researched it), but it is extremely peculiar that you lost three birds in a heavy rainstorm. Sorry for the losses...good luck in finding the solution! Hopefully you don't lose any more birds.

They are just over a month old. I've lost 2 of my 6 for no apperent reason. I've looked up every disease and illness I could find. They show no signs of illness. Yesterday I went to take them out of the brooder to put them in the day pen and 1 wad dead
sad.png
I moved them outside checked them all out made sure they were all eating and drinking. They were all very active but then later in the day another died. When I put them up in the evening 1 was acting very sleepy. I am not sure if he's sick or was just sleep from an active day outside? I had one from the time I got them at just about 3 days old who was like the rest very active ate and drank but in the evening when it was time for bed could hardly keep his eyes open but if the other chicks got up moving about and disturbing him he would just get up and join them. I wasn't thinking illness but should I have been? And if it was illness why did 2 that showed no signs die suddenly and he not? This is the 1st time I've lost birds to possible illness I'm at a loss as to what to do. And hearbroken that I'm loosing them. Could it be heat related ? The temps in my area have not been to high but the humidity sucks. I've been trying to research for the last 2 days but like I said they don't seem to have an illness. I looked at their droppings and through numerous droppings online to compair and they look normal. They sound fine no congestion sneezing wheezing etc. They don't look pale. No weight loss. Please does any one have any ideas?
Sorry for your losses.

If you looked at something people call the poo page (http://chat.allotment.org/index.php?topic=17568.0), many of their normals are not and could be a sign of coccidiosis, blackhead or worms. The majority of their poop should be well formed with a white cap, anything white, green, red, orange, yellow, mustard, foamy, runny, etc should be cause for concern.

This in a turkey or peafowl is abnormal, but listed as normal on the poo page.
Ceacal7.jpg

http://chat.allotment.org/index.php?topic=17568.0

-Kathy

Last edited:
Sorry for your losses. If you looked at something people call the poo page (http://chat.allotment.org/index.php?topic=17568.0), many of their normals are not and could be a sign of coccidiosis, blackhead or worms. The majority of their poop should be well formed with a white cap, anything white, green, red, orange, yellow, mustard, foamy, runny, etc should be cause for concern. This in a turkey or peafowl is abnormal, but listed as normal on the poo page.
Ceacal7.jpg
http://chat.allotment.org/index.php?topic=17568.0 -Kathy
I did look at that page. The last 3 poos looked kinda like my turkeys. That page says its normal shedding of the intestinal liner. I've looked at other pages that said the same thing so I assumed it was normal. The 3 remaining poults are doing well. They are very active alert have good appetites etc. It could yave been something I had done? I'm just not sure what. I was very busy the week I started loosing them. I would clean fresh feed and water day pen night pen and those were the only times I seen them during the day. I didn't get to fuss over them like I did the 1st 4 I got last year. It stinks but I've learned my lesson and wont bring any more babies i when I no I'm not even going to have time to think. It was the same way with my chicks though and they were all fine? But I heard they are heartier than poults so? Thank you all for your input on solving my mystery.

I did look at that page. The last 3 poos looked kinda like my turkeys. That page says its normal shedding of the intestinal liner. I've looked at other pages that said the same thing so I assumed it was normal. The 3 remaining poults are doing well. They are very active alert have good appetites etc. It could yave been something I had done? I'm just not sure what. I was very busy the week I started loosing them. I would clean fresh feed and water day pen night pen and those were the only times I seen them during the day. I didn't get to fuss over them like I did the 1st 4 I got last year. It stinks but I've learned my lesson and wont bring any more babies i when I no I'm not even going to have time to think. It was the same way with my chicks though and they were all fine? But I heard they are heartier than poults so? Thank you all for your input on solving my mystery.
I used to think the same thing... Maybe the occasional one *is* normal, but if you're seeing enough to cause you to look it up, IMHO, you're seeing too many. FWIW, I have *never* seen it in my turkey or peas, just in chickens and chicks, and in the chicks, it goes away after being treated for coccidiosis with Corid (amprolium), and with the older chickens, it goes away after being de-wormed with fenbendazole.

-Kathy

Im pretty new to birds and that was the first time I had seen poo like that with any of my birds is why I looked it up. But I understand what your saying. There wasn't alot of it either but and of course I had no way of knowing which of the 6 poults made the nasty looking mess either but I think we may be onto something bc since three have died I have not seen any more poos like that. So now I have a couple more questions if you or anyone can answer them. 1. If that's what it was why didn't the rest get it? 2. I read that its in the ground and chickens can have it without having any signs of it. If so why wouldn't my guineas, peafowl, and adult turkeys have it? They free range with my chickens constantly. 3. If that's what it was how do I prevent any of my birds from getting it again? And would it be ok to put my poults in a pen on the ground? They haven't been yet but I'm hoping to soon. 1 Id like forthem to be able to be out in the grass to scratch around catch bugs and do what turkeys do but not if they could end up sick.

Back
Top Bottom