My problem with BYC web site

Why don't you look in the BST section? You can search within that topic for the breeds you're interested in. Seems to me if someone was really interested in selling what they have, they'd post in the BST section instead of hoping someone can find that obscure link in an ancient post in a nonactive thread somewhere.

The way many people have done it recently is to go to the end of the thread, for instance, heritage rhode island reds--then post that you are looking for authentic RIR, then the regulars on that thread will tell you the best people to get hatching eggs from. Not many breeder sell chicks, but they will ship eggs or you can pick up chicks or older birds during spring or summer. Few serious breeders sell anything in the fall, but will take orders for late winter/early spring.

Also I would take the breeder hype with a grain of salt. I have all hatchery birds and they are sweet, healthy, and beautiful. If you want to become a breeder or preserve a heritage breed then breeders are more of a requirement. Since you are just getting started hatchery birds have a lot of benefits for "getting your legs" so to speak. While it would be nice to have a compendium of breeders on BYC I have found that many breed have clubs that list some breeders and their contact info. Also heading to threads themed for the breed you want usually contain enthusiasts that know where to get good birds.

Ok as my name suggests I am new to keeping chickens, my first flock just now reaching laying age. So I come to BYC web site to dig for tips and such on raising chickens. And one tip I get over and over and over and over is, " you don't want hatchery birds because hatchery birds are breed for egg laying, what you want is birds from a breeder, " wink".  I mean you can even start a thread on something that has absoultley nothing to do with breeder birds and some byc chicken person will come in and tell you how you need breeder birds. It's like this is the ultimate knowledge that any and all chicken people come to and needs to be said for no reason other than it was said? It's kind of strange really, but I digress.

My problem with the web site is it doesn't have a easy to find list of non hatchery breeders. O no that would be too easy. Granted there is a whole section dedicated to breeders and people love to place links to those threads as if that will make it easier to find them. Has anyone ever tried to go through the bowels of a year old thread with 1048 replies to find the one link where you can actually contact the breeder??  Yea I didn't think so. But yet everyone loves to link those posts when your trying to find a breeder. Don't get me wrong I appreciate the help but there just has to be a better way.

Come on BYC make a section with nothing more than a list of Non hatchery breeders that is easy to find, is that too much to ask?

This forum has the most extensive search features around. Honestly, it isn't that hard to find anything, unless it's been deleted and leads you to a dead end. But considering BYC has nearly 12 million posts, 1048 replies is just a drop in the bucket.

What I would do, is go to the Breeds, Genetics, & Showing section, find the threads that talk about the breed. How? Ctrl+F. This should give you a reasonable amount of recent threads to search within a short period of time without searching the whole section. Then, using the thread search feature, search the word 'breeder'. Those posts should be then looked through for contact info. If none is found, then the next thread would be searched in the same way. Sounds like a lot of work, but it's not the same as combing 104 pages and definitely quicker.

Also, each breed has main threads. Like 'The Swedish Flower Hen thread' or 'The Silkie thread', or "The Oriental Gamefowl thread". Find the thread that corresponds to the breed you're searching for, then post there, asking for breeders. BYC has many members which I'm sure can help. If all else fails, then that's more reason to start a thread of your own about the missing breed! :D

Back
Top Bottom