My protective rooster (Cockerel)

slejdad

Songster
Apr 24, 2019
Whaleyville (Suffolk) Va
We're still new at chicken raising so this was very exciting for us....We got our first five chickens in April and one had been mis-sexed as a pullet. Once Dottie started crowing we changed her name to Dobby and resigned ourselves to having a rooster. Anyway Dobby the barrred rock rooster was hatched on 8 April so is still a young boy, but he has really impressed us with his call to danger.

Our birds don't get to free range (yet) but they have a 10'x34' run to hang out in. My DW @AngelCyn and I were sitting out there with them, feeding them scratch grain, petting them and just enjoying watching them be chickens (there are 14 hens now btw) Dobby is always a little standoffish and I suppose he has been keeping lookout. Out of nowhere he stood straight up, stretched his neck out all the way, unfurled his wings and let out, what I describe as, a roar! Every hen stopped what they were doing and RAN/flew to the coop and got inside. Dobby stayed outside the coop door watching. That's when DW noticed the hawk!

We are so happy with and proud of Dobby! Makes us feel much better about the free ranging prospects!
Dobby.jpg

We bought 2 Jersey Giant pullets... BOTH are roosters :lau This one is Squatch, he is the lookout of our flock. He takes very good care of his ladies. He's double the hens size and is only 4 months, his brother is less dominant and standoffish.

I think that the farm we bought these from gave someone our pullets and we have their roosters :confused: All their chicks are sexed professionally at the hatchery they order from so I think there was a mix up on the farms end.
IMG_20190830_183450.jpg

I have two Jersey Giant pullets hatched 22 July. Nothing giant about them yet and they are not with the main flock yet (doing the look but don't touch thing). We have 16 "pullets" in the baby flock and I'm really hoping they are all pullets. That will leave Dobby with 30 hens to watch over though!

We bought 2 Jersey Giant pullets... BOTH are roosters :lau This one is Squatch, he is the lookout of our flock. He takes very good care of his ladies. He's double the hens size and is only 4 months, his brother is less dominant and standoffish.

I think that the farm we bought these from gave someone our pullets and we have their roosters :confused: All their chicks are sexed professionally at the hatchery they order from so I think there was a mix up on the farms end. View attachment 1904187
Beautiful bird btw!

Back
Top Bottom