My pullet just crowed :(

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by LovinMyPeeps, Sep 24, 2009.

1. LovinMyPeeps

LovinMyPeeps Sees Wine Dots

Mar 22, 2009
    Heuvelton, NY
    I bought an ameraucana pullet at the Waddington NY Swap and it just crowed... I could cry [​IMG]

2. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Awe, I'm sorry - maybe you can find a nice home for him?

3. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    Hey don't lose hope! My pullet crowed AND even tried to mate her buddy pullet (seen it with my own eyes!) but is still a hen [​IMG] in fact I had THREE pullets crow on the same day, can you take pictures? I'm sure someone could help you confirm this. I would not be in a hurry to get rid of her/him just yet till your sure. What kind of chicken?

ETA...nevermind about the kind...I just seen it was an ameraucana. Just blind [​IMG] If you take pics we could help you out though. How old?

Last edited: Sep 24, 2009
  4. LovinMyPeeps

Mar 22, 2009
    Heuvelton, NY
    Yah I need to see if I can rehome.. erm... him... what a bummer. and yes I can take a picture a little later on my wayto an appointment. I'll do it as soon as I get back, my understanding that my little hemaphrodite is 22 weeks. I've had the pullet since Sunday and it's the first time I've heard him/her do that...

Last edited: Sep 24, 2009
  5. 19hhbelgian

19hhbelgian Pigs DO Fly!!

Apr 9, 2009
    New Tripoli PA
    Quote:So... Have yours laid any eggs yet? [​IMG] [​IMG]

OP: post some pics of your bird. I'm sure if it crowed it's a roo though. Typically pullets won't crow. I've had a hen that crowed, but she's about 2.5 now, and when I got her, she was used to roosters being around, and I didn't have any at the time. She has since stopped crowing (if you could call it that [​IMG]).

6. Kriquet

Kriquet Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2009
    Kansas City
    What a bummer! I hope you can find him/her a new home - and that you haven't grown too attached yet! [​IMG]

7. EricT

EricT Out Of The Brooder

May 21, 2009
    Smithville, Tennessee
    Same thing happened to us with our dear RIR pullet (we thought) named Reba. We brought home another RIR hen and Reba mounted her within an hour and started crowing the next week. He was our favorite "girl". But we kept him and just call him Reba the rooster now. [​IMG]

8. LovinMyPeeps

Mar 22, 2009
    Heuvelton, NY
    So here it is... my crowing pullet... she looks like a she to me, but shows how much I know... my understanding this little one (big little one) has brahma bloodlines which accounts for the yellow feet. "She" is 22-24 weeks and the goofball who had her fed her part grower... which I don't agree with, that might account for her size... Think he must have fed her testosterone too!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Cackling Hen

Cackling Hen Just Scratching Around

Apr 21, 2009
    Port Angeles Wa
    Thats a roo looks like it anyways by his pointy hackel feathers Bummer he is pretty [​IMG]

10. woolymama

woolymama Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2009
    Central Virginia
    SOrry! I know how you feel - my beautiful blue Cochin "hen" Clementine just started crowing at 25 weeks. I guess she's now "Clemmie LeRoo".[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by