My pullet seems sick??

ChicKola

Chirping
Jul 5, 2021
I separated my 9 week old Jersey Giant girl from the flock when she exhibited worrying symptoms. She seems to be very sleepy, could barely keep her eyes open. Looking at her eyes they looked “sleepy” as in the third eyelid is visible but it doesn’t look swollen… also her eyes are watery and she itches them on her wings often. I thought for sure it was the start of coryza. She has been eating and drinking just fine. We are on day 6 and nothing has worsened. She has not had nasal discharge, no bubbly or crusty eyes, no sneezing or coughing.. they are still just sleepy looking and watery and itchy…she is acting fine and I think she is even less sleepy than she was 2 days ago, I’m now thinking less that it’s respiratory, but what could it be? I’m unsure of how long I should wait to integrate her back? Advice or ideas please?

the photo of her eye looks like a bubble but it’s not, just watery.

Attachments

• 7AD5769C-8511-4496-860A-E426292C0480.jpeg
    7AD5769C-8511-4496-860A-E426292C0480.jpeg
    324 KB · Views: 15
  • BFADEA21-71EE-4E0F-8E6A-B6ABFFA5604E.jpeg
    BFADEA21-71EE-4E0F-8E6A-B6ABFFA5604E.jpeg
    562.7 KB · Views: 12
Maybe just needs some rest time. I would definitely keep an eye on her see if she's eating and drinking and check her poos. Could always supplement with nutri drench.

Her eye appears to have conjunctivitis (pink eye,) which can be from a respiratory infection (MG) or from environmental reasons—not enough ventilation, ammonia odor from droppings, dust, or mold. Flush her eyes with something like Bausch and Lomb eye wash, and Terramycin eye ointment is sometimes available at many feed stores. It is used 2 times a day. Tylosin or Tylan can be given to treat symptoms. Here is where to find it, and dosage is 1 tsp of Tylosin per gallon for water for 3-5 days:
https://www.jedds.com/shop/tylan-soluble-100-g/

Her eye appears to have conjunctivitis (pink eye,) which can be from a respiratory infection (MG) or from environmental reasons—not enough ventilation, ammonia odor from droppings, dust, or mold. Flush her eyes with something like Bausch and Lomb eye wash, and Terramycin eye ointment is sometimes available at many feed stores. It is used 2 times a day. Tylosin or Tylan can be given to treat symptoms. Here is where to find it, and dosage is 1 tsp of Tylosin per gallon for water for 3-5 days:
https://www.jedds.com/shop/tylan-soluble-100-g/
How many days to treat with then eye ointment?

Maybe just needs some rest time. I would definitely keep an eye on her see if she's eating and drinking and check her poos. Could always supplement with nutri drench.
How often and how many days for the nutri-drench? I have that. I’ve had her separated for 4 whole days and she’s been eating and drinking fine every day thus far.

How often and how many days for the nutri-drench? I have that. I’ve had her separated for 4 whole days and she’s been eating and drinking fine every day thus far.
I would maybe for 3-5 days. I have an older gal whose eyes sometimes get a little watery. But never any other issues. Maybe she's got something stuck in there like a piece if dirt?

Back
Top Bottom