my pullets are passing alot of water please please please help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by andy71180, Jul 15, 2010.

1. andy71180

andy71180 New Egg

Dec 7, 2009
    hi guyz i would just like to say that i really appreciate your time and help
    the problem i have is i introduced two chicks to my other chickens . they were 9 weeks when i got them they are 17 now .
    they have always done runny toilet but for the last 5 weeks there toilet has been diorea with lots of clear water . they are eating layerpellets now and it is still the same
    please help as im really worried
    thanks

2. gallusdomesticus

gallusdomesticus Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2008
    Lynn Haven, FL
    Get them off layer pellets immediately! The extra calcium in layer feed is toxic to a chicks kidneys. You'll have to separate them from the older birds and feed starter ration until they are at least 15-18 weeks old. If you put out starter ration with adult chickens around, the older birds will eat the 'baby food' and it will affect their egg laying.

3. NeeleysAVLChicks

NeeleysAVLChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2009
    Leicester, NC
    Quote:Wait a second, isn't he saying that they're 17 wks old now? That would be a fine age for layer pellets.

Andy, can you give us any more information about their condition? Other than diarrhea, what else can you tell us? How do they look? Are they eating and drinking normally? It might help if you filled out this form:

1) What type of bird , age and weight.
    2) What is the behavior, exactly.
    3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
    4) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
    5) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
    6) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
    7) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
    8) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
    9 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
    10) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
    11) Describe the housing/bedding in use

4. andy71180

andy71180 New Egg

Dec 7, 2009
    to awnser your questions
    1. i have a barred rock and a marran
    2. normall behavior they could be sleeping a little more. drinking more water than the other 2 i have.
    3. this hase been going on for 5 weeks
    4.the black one seems to have the odd scab on her leg as if a scale has been broken
    5.dont know whats happened there poo was always runny now theres lots of water in it
    6.was on chick crumbs at first now on layer pellets they all drink from same water which is changed dailly
    7not normall at all it is all broken up and lots of water i can take pictures if u like
    8.no treatment as yet the advice i got from some1 on byc is that it would pass but that was 3 weeks ago
    9.they seem to be fine i would like to treat myself if i could .
    10.there is no wound or anything visicaly rong with the birds.
    11.they have wood shavings with straw on top. i have four chickens in a smallish coup with 2 nessting boxes but they only go there at nite they are in my garden all day from sunrise to sun down

look forward to your reply regards andy

5. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    Is it really hot where you live? My birds have been drinking LOTS of water and their poo has been looser than it is when the weather isn't so hot.
    Everything else seems basically OK with them, though, right?

6. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

is it hot there??? They drink a LOT of water when it's hot....and yes sometimes it passes straight through them.

7. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    What general area are you in and has it been really hot there? Five weeks is a long time, I've had some of mine do that when we've gotten really hot weather and they're drinking lots of water--Since urine and poo all comes out as "poo" in birds they can get really runny stools when they over drink, but I've never noticed it for more then a few days at a time. Here's a link to the "poo page" in case you haven't seen it before, maybe something there will help you to figure this out.

http://www.chat.allotment.org.uk/index.php?topic=17568.0

I've either got to learn to type faster or wait longer and just do quotes with thumbs up smiles added. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 16, 2010
  8. gallusdomesticus

gallusdomesticus Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2008
    Lynn Haven, FL
    I'm sorry, I misread the ages of your birds as 9 weeks...layer ration is fine for them. I would attribute the watery droppings to the heat.

9. andy71180

andy71180 New Egg

Dec 7, 2009
    sorry guyz i stay in scotland .
    what is hot ? i have shade in my garden we have very little hot dayz we are not a hot country.
    my instinct was to go for a parasite.

10. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Is there a vet who could test the feces for worms, coccidia, etc.?

Grains (wheat, oats, rice, barley) help firm poop, as does apple cider vinegar and probiotics such as yogurt.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by