my puppy and the compost

ky chicks

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 23, 2009
We have a 6-month-old puppy who insists on eating from the compost. We have kept him on a leash whenever we take him outside for a long time to prevent him from going under the fence into the neighbor's yard, and to keep him out of the compost. We have since fixed the fence to keep him in the yard, but the compost is a problem. I really like for him to be able to run around and play, but apparently the compost is so delicious it's irresistible.
sickbyc.gif
Obviously, it would be healthier for him not to eat it, but has anyone had a dog get sick from it?

Dogs have much stronger acid in their stomachs then we do....My dogs do get into the compost pile occasionally and other then some smelly gas, we don"t see that it makes them sick.......

Yeah if there is compost or mulch or anything along those lines - mine will roll and eat and roll - Dont get ill but i do from the smell! I agree maybe you can fence it off as i think it will always prove too tempting for the lil one

I was hoping to avoid putting a fence around it, since I need to get the garden cart in there fairly regularly. I thought if I let him just eat it a few times, it would lose its appeal, but he always runs straight out there!

Back
Top Bottom