My purebred Ameraucana hen laid a tan egg!!! D=

Status
Not open for further replies.
And you're SURE its from her? I mean, she's got a pea comb and all. . . How weird and disappointing.
hmm.png

I found two reason why this might have happened.

1.) - A recessive pink gene that comes out when both the hen and roo have recessive pink genes that match up that causes a blue egg laying chicken to lay a pink egg instead.

2.) - An extra layer of blume causing the color of the egg to become pink to purple.

3 years ago.. I had a pure bred blue Ameraucana lay a brown egg...freaked me out. I know for a fact it was pure based on my knowledge of ameraucanas and genetics. She pulled the mom from her breeding and gave her to me since our discovery ( for eating eggs) ...and gave her roo away...Mom laid beautiful blue -daughter laid brown eggs.

Let me find a photo
smile.png

here she is at 4 months old
25181_cimg2530.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
That it is, however it's brown, not pink. If it appears pink it is only because it is a light brown or has extra blume on it. A purple egg is a DARK egg with blume though.
smile.png

Quote:
That it is, however it's brown, not pink. If it appears pink it is only because it is a light brown or has extra blume on it. A purple egg is a DARK egg with blume though.
smile.png

Well, if you take a look at the egg, it's more of a pinky tan. We were told by the breeder that this was the problem, first time since 05 they've had it show up, lucky us to get the combination.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom