My PVC "True Auto" Waterer

pure genius!!!!!
thumbsup.gif

We made this last year and it was a lifesaver...never had any problems with leaking etc and it's nice knowing the chickens have clean water at all times. However, I'm in South Ga and we have been dealing with a severe heat wave for he past week or so and the water in the reservoir is so warm they won't drink from it. We mounted it on the outside of the nesting box and the afternoon sun shines on it. Dumb move on our part. Looks like we will be making some changes and putting the entire system inside of the covered run. For now, I will carry endless gallons of cool water to my girls. I just hope they will go back to using the nipples!

Try adding apple cider vinegar to your water. It has to do with stagnant water/moisture. Add 1T per gallon. It should help control the mold.
I set up a less complex system with the same premise and in about 2 months I had black mold growing on the pvc.....do you add anything to keep this from happening? You can see it in the back of the coop in this picture.....it is an 18 gallon tote with pvc gravity feeding 8 nipples. I suppose that yours is better due to fresh flow of water? Meaning, no water stays.
And thank you for posting this. Someone had posted one similar to this and they had removed the post. I was relieved to have found this.

We built this waterer this weekend and we didn't have quite the luck others did. We grabbed 3/4 schedule 40 PVC pipe not realizing the original design used thin walled PVC pipe and we had a devil of a time threading the nipples in. We have 7 other nipple waterers, both horizontal and vertical and none of them leak, but every last nipple on this waterer leaked.

We had plenty of other - user caused trouble. All in all, I love the design, if I could stop making mistakes and get it right. In the meantime, my broilers are getting wet heads when they drink.

Back
Top Bottom