my quail can't walk please help

images

Welcome to BYC!

So sorry about your quail. This is common when they boink their heads on the ceiling. Causes a bit of brain swelling and depending on how hard they hit the ceiling, depends on whether they survive or not. The first thing you need to do is get this bird under heat. If you have an infra red heat lamp, this will not only warm the bird, but help to reduce the swelling. Many times birds in this condition won't drink on their own, so you will need to dip the beak in the water several times a day so they can stay hydrated. Put 3/4 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar in a quart plastic only waterer as ACV helps with swelling and inflammation. Change this water every day and make new. When quail are sick, they can go off their gamebird food. So feed this bird what ever it will eat...hard boiled eggs, warm grits or oatmeal...just anything to keep him alive while healing.

Supportive care is very important to get this quail healed. Heat, dipping the beak, and feeding him what ever he will eat. If he didn't hit too hard, he may recover. But sometimes the brain swelling and concussion is too much.

I keep quail as well, keep me posted. :)

Alright
welcome-byc.gif
great to have you joining the BYC flock
frow.gif

Well in order for some one to really help you out you need to
give us some pointers as to how many quail and age all this
makes a difference the type of feed you have been giving
in the house out in shed or out side in a cage and type of
quail this will really help us in helping YOU ..
wink.png

welcome-byc.gif
I agree with 2Crows advice. I'm not a quail person but, I've been told when they are startled they go straight up and hit their heads.

Hi ty you for your advice I have followed your advice the the quail seems to be doing a lot better he is able to feed himself and drink water although I am still dipping his beak throughout the day. He is still unable to walk but seems alot more alert. He is an outdoor quail I have bought him inside why he is poorly. Is it likely he will recover an be able to walk again . I have found that at the moment he is eating mashed up egg an fresh greens better than the grain . Any more advice would be appreciated .

Hi ty you for your advice I have followed your advice the the quail seems to be doing a lot better he is able to feed himself and drink water although I am still dipping his beak throughout the day. He is still unable to walk but seems alot more alert. He is an outdoor quail I have bought him inside why he is poorly. Is it likely he will recover an be able to walk again . I have found that at the moment he is eating mashed up egg an fresh greens better than the grain . Any more advice would be appreciated .
Great that the little guy is doing better!! That means there maybe hope for him. This may take some time for the swelling and or concussion to heal. Could be a few to several weeks, so be patient with him. Keep feeding him what ever he will eat and if he needs to have the beak dipped, then do so.

Oh, I am so happy!! Just keep doing what you are doing and keep us posted! I sure hope he makes a full recovery. As for the future, make sure nothing is scaring them in the night like predators, make sure when you come out in the morning or any time during the day you alert them that you are coming, or turning on a light, removing a cover, etc..so they don't get startled and fly into the ceiling. I always make a lot of noise and talk to my birds so they don't panic when they hear those quick sounds.

Back
Top Bottom