My Quail Hatching Thread - UPDATED 08/02/10

Denninmi

Songster
10 Years
Jul 26, 2009
I thought I would share my results as they occur with my attempt to hatch a Brinsea Octagon 20 Advanced EX full of quail eggs:

I started with the following:

COTURNIX: 55 eggs, placed on 07/11 at approximately 10:45 PM.

BUTTONS: 30 eggs, placed on 07/13 at 6:00 PM.

Lockdown was yesterday at 6:00 PM. I am running the incubator at 99.6 degrees and 63% humidity for the lockdown period.

As of right now, 9:30 PM EDT on 07/29, the score is:

Coturnix -- 55 received on 07/10.

Less 1 that was dented when it came.

Less 2 that I dented when placing them in the egg tray

Less 1 more that I found cracked on 07/21 or 07/22 when candling

Less 22 that I discarded last night upon candling. A couple of them had small amounts of rotted liquid in them. Most of them were clear and looked like they still had yolks and whites, not even rotted. I attribute this to shipping injury.

This leaves a total of 29 that went into the lockdown.

LESS ONE HATCHED AS OF THIS TIME!

That leaves 28 eggs to go.

Buttons -- I have 30 in these, but 2 are ones I dented when handling last week, and I tried to patch them. I dont' think it will work. I have NOT candled these, just used the "sniff test" because they are just too hard to see into anyway. So far 0/30 discarded.

Here is the first baby:

37705_quail_july_2010_042.jpg

Last edited:
As of 12:58 am EDT on Friday, July 30, I have 7 hatched and 4 more pipped. They hatch fast!

3 now in the brooder:

37705_005.jpg

More still in the Brinsea:

37705_009.jpg

As of 11:00 this morning, 8 hatched, but one is kind of questionable -- it can't stay upright on its own at this point, I'm trying to help it. It is eating and drinking, so we'll see. One more is pipped, and that is all at this point. I hope I end up with more than this.

No sign of anything yet from the button quail eggs, but I'm not surprised by that -- I figured more like Saturday on those.

sounds as though you had a bad hatch on teh coturnix, usually 2 or 3 will hatch then all together they will hatch between 2 hours time. its called teh popcorn affect.

i wish you better luck on the buttons

good luckk

Back
Top Bottom