My Quail Hatching Thread - UPDATED 08/02/10

Button quails have been hatching for 24 hours now sporadically. I have 7 hatched and 2 more pipped.

I was really happy, I believe I've got a tuxedo type or at least similar -- pattern is like the tuxedo photos I've seen, but the colors are a little paler == yellow underneath, soft gray on top.

Quote:
That is so awesome! Can't wait for pictures!
ya.gif
wee.gif
pop.gif

Baby button quail:

37705_august_2_2010_031.jpg

The tuxedo-like one is in the lower left corner of the above photo. I know it's blurry and hard to see. It is yellow underneath and grayish on top.

37705_august_2_2010_035.jpg

He was in this frame JUST BEFORE I snapped the photo -- he ran back under the Brinsea Ecoglow.

Last edited:
Quote:
Awe - I had 3 buttons hatch out the last batch I incubated, and I had 1 that looked like one of your black ones. ( Turned out to be a Wild Male. ) 1 like the tanish ones ( turned out to be a Golden Something female. ) And 1 that looks just like the grey/white one! I do not know what color she is going to be! You can see a picture of them here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=4614652#p4614652

Last edited:
I had one just like it, I thought it was a tux but it turned out to be a silver and grey pied. They are just as beautiful as the tux though. Very different

Your starter feed looks like corn meal, am I mistaken? Is that a specialized game bird starter? I'm just planning on tossing some 27% protein food into the food processor and making a powder out of it. I have some hatching in a few days, just some Gambels.

Quote:
I'm using 26% gamebird starter unmedicated from Armada Feeds, a local company. I wanted to get 30% based upon recommendations I read on a buttonquail site, but my feed store doesn't have that.

I put it through my adjustable grind coffee mill to make it fine enough for the babies.

Back
Top Bottom