My quail is acting weird

Qquails899

Songster
Dec 26, 2019
Hungary
One of my quails was being very active lately, but today when I came home, I realized that she's just standing in the cage and not moving around as usual. When I took them out of the cage, I expected her to walk around the room just like she used to, but instead she was still just standing. She looks fatter than usual, but she has actually lost some weight (not that much). She lies down again a few minutes after she gets up. She is lethargic. She was just fine yesterday, and I don't know what's going on. I talked to the breeder I bought them from and he said he has no idea at all. She's been drinking a lot since I dewormed them. She ate a lot of sand yesterday, could it be because of that? Please help, I have no idea what to do...

It sounds like it could be impacted crop or gizzard. Is the crop hard? Yes, eating sand is both a sign of impaction and can aggravate impaction.

I suggest you give her a half teaspoon of chilled coconut oil directly into her beak. Gently massage the crop to disperse the oil and then let her rest, but provide plenty of clean water.

It sounds like it could be impacted crop or gizzard. Is the crop hard? Yes, eating sand is both a sign of impaction and can aggravate impaction.

I suggest you give her a half teaspoon of chilled coconut oil directly into her beak. Gently massage the crop to disperse the oil and then let her rest, but provide plenty of clean water.
Thank you so much!

The crop is empty. The vet said she has fever and sand is now somewhere in her body.

Vitamins help boost the immune system but will not flush sand out of a gizzard. Antibiotics kill bacteria but will not flush sand out of a gizzard. Sand in a gizzard can block anything else from going through it. It can be fatal.

If you decide you want to try the flush, the dosage is 3ml of molasses mixed into 24ml of warm water. You may need to syringe the liquid into the beak if the bird won't drink it. Most of the liquid needs to get into the bird to do the job. It usually will produce a sizeable solid poop with sand noticeable in it.

I really hope your quail is going to be okay! This advice is really helpful in case any of my birds end up having this issue.

Back
Top Bottom