The little string is a blood vessel, don't cut it. It could make the chick bleed out and die. Any blood that is still in the shell is being absorbed through it. It may not look like there's much blood going through it, but trust me, it's a lot. I did clip one of those my second hatch, and it bled for hours. The baby bled out and died in an hour. Don't risk it.

The little string is a blood vessel, don't cut it. It could make the chick bleed out and die. Any blood that is still in the shell is being absorbed through it. It may not look like there's much blood going through it, but trust me, it's a lot. I did clip one of those my second hatch, and it bled for hours. The baby bled out and died in an hour. Don't risk it.
If the string is connected to the shell, it doesn't hurt to simply snip the string off the shell. Rather that than have the chick drag around a shell and possibly pull its navel open. I've hatched many of times and always snip the string that's attached to the shell.

Now if the chick is still absorbing its yolk and there is blood, leave it be. I'm talking about when the chick is lively and ready to start moving around and when everything is dried up.

If the string is connected to the shell, it doesn't hurt to simply snip the string off the shell. Rather that than have the chick drag around a shell and possibly pull its navel open. I've hatched many of times and always snip the string that's attached to the shell.

Now if the chick is still absorbing its yolk and there is blood, leave it be. I'm talking about when the chick is lively and ready to start moving around and when everything is dried up.
I agree. It looks as though there is still blood flowing through it though. I don't doubt you know what you're doing. ;) It's in a cup though, so there isn't any risk of it tearing it.

I agree. It looks as though there is still blood flowing through it though. I don't doubt you know what you're doing. ;) It's in a cup though, so there isn't any risk of it tearing it.
Woke up this morning and chick had broken away from the shell itself, and had also managed to get out of the cup with kitchen towel! I moved her to the brooder now. She’s looking a lot more likely yet seems to have trouble walking (particularly with its left side of the body yet that may just be me) I normally give my chicken chick boiled eggs to get their vitamins etc, should I try this? Is there anything else I should do?

Attachments

• 083240B8-BE2A-4784-8B24-8EB10429D669.jpeg
    083240B8-BE2A-4784-8B24-8EB10429D669.jpeg
    321.4 KB · Views: 3
Woke up this morning and chick had broken away from the shell itself, and had also managed to get out of the cup with kitchen towel! I moved her to the brooder now. She’s looking a lot more likely yet seems to have trouble walking (particularly with its left side of the body yet that may just be me) I normally give my chicken chick boiled eggs to get their vitamins etc, should I try this? Is there anything else I should do?
In addition, it doesn’t chirp, or make any sound for that matter is it basically mute, it is clearly underdeveloped. I’m worried that it won’t eat or drink if the insides are underdeveloped too, it does seem that the left side of the body is more ‘droopy’, i don’t know if the little guy is going to make it :( , any advise?

Back
Top Bottom