My quail still aren't laying eggs

I bought some solar walkway lights on closeout. Got a small solar flood light. And some rope lights.

Not sure if it helped much but at least they can see after dark.

I would use solar but I have no clue when solar lights turn off and I haven't found any with timers.

The ones my husband buys have a switch to indicate if you want them brighter for a shorter period or dimmer for a longer period but I don't think they would be throwing enough light either way to simulate daylight. They are the solar landscape lights.

Thanks for the overview pics, that is exactly what I was wanting to do. Tractor supply sells the cover that is a peaked roof. I'm to lazy to figure out how to do it myself, i'll go for the kit every time!

Hi. I was expecting eggs from about 8-9 weeks old but my batch of quails all started laying between 12 and 13 weeks old! Which was about two weeks ago. Now one has stopped. No idea why but getting one egg less than my number of females per day.

The ones my husband buys have a switch to indicate if you want them brighter for a shorter period or dimmer for a longer period but I don't think they would be throwing enough light either way to simulate daylight. They are the solar landscape lights.

Thanks for the overview pics, that is exactly what I was wanting to do. Tractor supply sells the cover that is a peaked roof. I'm to lazy to figure out how to do it myself, i'll go for the kit every time!

I was definitely going to buy a kennel roof kit because I don't have any tools or knowledge on building a roof. But I found a really easy tutorial on making an arched roof using a few pvc pipes and kennel brace clamps. I'm putting them up tomorrow and the clamps and the pipes cost me about $53 plus the $20 tarp I already was using, which cost nearly half as much as the $140 roof kit I was going to buy. It'll hopefully look like this

I have 65 coturnix quail, 55 hens and 10 roosters. Right now they are all between 9 to 11 weeks (different batches of chicks) and I haven't gotten a single egg. They're in a 10 x 10 dog kennel with a big sand box and 5 hides plus assorted tree branches, boxes, and grass. I give them 30% purina gamebird feed and put out a bowl of oyster shells two weeks ago that they've been eating from. They always have food and water available. We're getting about 13 hours of light so at least some hens should have started laying by now. Also the roosters haven't started crowing either, they just extend their necks and make a loud noise that sort of sounds like a cat fight. Does anyone know what's wrong?

i really love your pen, they have loads of space and lots of hide away. they should start laying soon.

i really love your pen, they have loads of space and lots of hide away. they should start laying soon.

Thank you! I haven't gotten any eggs yet but most of my roosters have started crowing in the span of 2 days. When they're new to it they just sound like they're screaming but now they sound more normal, although they could still use a little practice

I'm having issues with mine too. They're probably around 10 weeks old now and still no eggs. The funny thing is that the roosters have STOPPED crowing! I don't understand it? They were crowing when I had them in my greenhouse with a heatlamp for the cold nights. Now that they're outside full time I don't hear any more crows, unless I'm just not paying attention?

I do have my birds in a portable pen and move them the length of the pen (7 feet) each morning to fresh grass. I also have a two-story pen and their feed is upstairs. They DO INDEED CLIMB THE RAMP! Quite well in fact.

I don't know if it's lack of light, stress or feed??? I'm going to explore all three possibilities and see if we can get some eggs soon.

I'm having issues with mine too. They're probably around 10 weeks old now and still no eggs. The funny thing is that the roosters have STOPPED crowing! I don't understand it? They were crowing when I had them in my greenhouse with a heatlamp for the cold nights. Now that they're outside full time I don't hear any more crows, unless I'm just not paying attention?

I do have my birds in a portable pen and move them the length of the pen (7 feet) each morning to fresh grass. I also have a two-story pen and their feed is upstairs. They DO INDEED CLIMB THE RAMP! Quite well in fact.

I don't know if it's lack of light, stress or feed??? I'm going to explore all three possibilities and see if we can get some eggs soon.

Could the moving every day be stressing them?

I was gonna say the same thing I have read other people say quail that have been layin will stop if something changes whether it be moving or predators etc they will stop laying for a few days then start up again when if all is back to normal with no changes ! X :)

Back
Top Bottom