My quails eye again (with pictures)

Kale the Quail

Free Ranging
Aug 10, 2019
British Columbia
here are some pictures of peaches (from that thread before)

Attachments

• IMG_2631.JPG
    IMG_2631.JPG
    491 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_2634.JPG
    IMG_2634.JPG
    484.6 KB · Views: 36
How long has her eye been swollen like this? What’s her environment like? Is the discharge on her face from her nares or the swelling? Sorry if this was already covered in another thread, I couldn’t find that one.

I'm not a vet or a quail expert.... but I am a human medical provider. It looks like an abscess. Is it hard or soft? Potentially was scratching and nicked the skin allowing a bacteria in? Will she allow warm damp compresses like holding a warm wash cloth to it? Might help sooth it and if it is an abscess it would encourage it to drain. It wouldn't hurt anything if it's not an abscess. I would recommend continuing to find someone who can better tell you what it is exactly, but could be a place to start.

How long has her eye been swollen like this? What’s her environment like? Is the discharge on her face from her nares or the swelling? Sorry if this was already covered in another thread, I couldn’t find that one.
her eye has been like that since about 3 weeks ago and before that there was a little bit of swelling in her other eye, so the eye problems have lasted about a month-ish.

she used to live with the other birds, but then we noticed that one eye was closed more often than the other (the first one that got swollen.) We separated her and she's by herself (not making lonely chirps.)
at night we keep her in the garage, but if it isn't raining buckets we take her outside.

There used to be discharge when the first eye got swollen but now there's no discharge. When the first eye got swollen the discharge came from the nares.

We stopped the swelling in the first eye with an eyedrop that'swas used for humans.
I've tried to put the eyedrops in the currently swollen eye but it doesn't seem to do anything.

She can eat and drink by herself and sometimes she scratches the swollen one too much and it starts bleeding. after a while it forms a scab and comes off (overnight.)

I'm not a vet or a quail expert.... but I am a human medical provider. It looks like an abscess. Is it hard or soft? Potentially was scratching and nicked the skin allowing a bacteria in? Will she allow warm damp compresses like holding a warm wash cloth to it? Might help sooth it and if it is an abscess it would encourage it to drain. It wouldn't hurt anything if it's not an abscess. I would recommend continuing to find someone who can better tell you what it is exactly, but could be a place to start.
thank you :) I'll try that. The swollen part is hard from what i felt (she wouldn't let me touch it for very long)

thank you :) I'll try that. The swollen part is hard from what i felt (she wouldn't let me touch it for very long)

This is probably TMI, but birds and reptiles lack the enzyme myeloperoxidase, which is produced by neutrophils in mammals in response to a bacterial infection and causes that loose, liquidy pus. So, when quail have abcesses they should be firm, almost like a mass instead of squishy. Sounds like what you are talking about could very well be an abcess, though if there is discharge from the nares that means it has either eaten through and populated the sinuses or originated from the sinuses like how Vit A deficiency presents. You won’t be able to reach it with topical antibiotics, an avian vet would likely have to give something systemic to get deep into those sinuses. Is there a chance you have one near you?

sorry! I just changed her tote and i tried what @Quail4Fun said. The warm water got the crust on her swollen eye off. Her swollen eye looks clean now and i tried putting the medicine again. She's outside now. the swollen part turns out to be soft as if there's a liquid inside.

The problem: The swollen eye's brown part is at the back of the eye area. Both eyes are open and the non swollen one is fine. The swollen eye's brown part can barely be seen, as it's at the back top of the eye area. (close to it's ear, like a exaggerated eye roll except the rest of the brown and black part isn't there.) i'll get a picture as soon as possible.

The part where her eye's supposed to be is a gray ish cobalt blue (more of a gray though.)

It seems like the pressure of the abscess is pushing up on the eye socket muscles preventing her from looking forward normally. In a person, this would need to be drained and antibiotics given IV. For a quail, I'm not sure if there is a vet who can help with antibiotics or carefully drain the abscess with a small needle. But it likely needs to be manually drained and then compresses continued. As for the grayish color you're seeing, it is the connective tissue around the eye. It is ok but the swelling needs to be addressed before that will return to normal. Looks worse than it is. But long term could have a bad outcome.

Edit: are there oral antibiotics for birds? Maybe needed here?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom