My rabbits had babies… what now?

Okay. I have found a humane society whose website says they will neuter the male adult. I’m calling them tomorrow. I contacted my regular vet also but since it’s the weekend they probably won’t get back to me until tomorrow. I plan on catching the babies and trying to sex them, I’ll get pictures too, as well in the morning. I tried today but after taking said pictures they ran down a hole. They are fast.

The male is going to be separated until I can get him neutered. It took me a bit to figure out how I would separate him but the top of their hutch closes down and I can put him in there with separate food and water. So far he has been friendly to the babies. Even letting them cuddle up next to him. But I do worry about that “until they don’t” moment.
Let us know what that place charges to fix the bun, please. My humane society won't mess with rabbits and all of the local vets charge a lot.

Just a comment. Getting him neutered will keep him from impregnating your doe. it won't help if the rabbits, for whatever reason, decide not to get along. If it were me, I would just separate them and save the neutering fee. However, if there are advantages to having him neutered other than birth control, go ahead. You might ask bunnylady what she thinks. By the way, it is a few weeks after neutering before a male is no longer fertile.

Let us know what that place charges to fix the bun, please. My humane society won't mess with rabbits and all of the local vets charge a lot.
I found one humane society that charges 180 and one that says they charge 80. I’m checking with both. I only found two humane societies that even listed rabbits. All the rest were just cats and dogs.
Just a comment. Getting him neutered will keep him from impregnating your doe. it won't help if the rabbits, for whatever reason, decide not to get along. If it were me, I would just separate them and save the neutering fee. However, if there are advantages to having him neutered other than birth control, go ahead. You might ask bunnylady what she thinks. By the way, it is a few weeks after neutering before a male is no longer fertile.
These are my two sons rabbits and right now keeping them separated permanently isn’t an option. That’s why we wanted ones of the same sex. But so far the adults get along. I think they have enough space that they don’t readily fight. I also worry the male will get lonely if I keep him alone.

Here are the pictures I had my son take today.
88097445-05EB-49C2-AE93-404D93A3CF5F.jpeg
9B48830E-B576-44BF-BE2F-0BE7440C6EB3.jpeg
2CE43815-21EE-439D-8A6A-B543C49C4430.jpeg
D677B180-5B70-45A7-A92F-5C19A5BA82C7.jpeg
2CA6E12C-57C4-42B2-8925-2B460CCBF537.jpeg
B54A9964-DC10-4B96-8614-716991BA7586.jpeg
633A91DA-6B18-4E7D-9962-3571EBDF25FC.jpeg
078590C0-4006-4160-AF82-060E224A1DF7.jpeg

I found one humane society that charges 180 and one that says they charge 80. I’m checking with both. I only found two humane societies that even listed rabbits. All the rest were just cats and dogs.

These are my two sons rabbits and right now keeping them separated permanently isn’t an option. That’s why we wanted ones of the same sex. But so far the adults get along. I think they have enough space that they don’t readily fight. I also worry the male will get lonely if I keep him alone.
I'd get them both fixed for $80 each if I were you.

I would start looking for homes for the bunnies now, that way you'll have time to find responsible owners that know how to properly care for them (I would tell them about Lennon the Bunny on YouTube). Lots of people just want to impulsively buy a "toy" for their children and sadly end up neglecting or dumping them, which contributes to the huge issue of homeless rabbits on the streets or in shelters. So be sure they've done their research.

If you get both the parents fixed and you properly introduce them they can definitely be bonded. Getting them fixed will also help with any hormonal aggression, territorial behavior, and marking. It will also prevent the risk of ovarian cancer in your doe.
101Rabbits (on YouTube) has some good videos on how to bond rabbits.

Back
Top Bottom