My rabbits had babies… what now?

I would start looking for homes for the bunnies now, that way you'll have time to find responsible owners that know how to properly care for them (I would tell them about Lennon the Bunny on YouTube). Lots of people just want to impulsively buy a "toy" for their children and sadly end up neglecting or dumping them, which contributes to the huge issue of homeless rabbits on the streets or in shelters. So be sure they've done their research.

If you get both the parents fixed and you properly introduce them they can definitely be bonded. Getting them fixed will also help with any hormonal aggression, territorial behavior, and marking. It will also prevent the risk of ovarian cancer in your doe.
101Rabbits (on YouTube) has some good videos on how to bond rabbits.
I have started looking for people to take them in. I had no idea people dumped rabbits. The plan is to get both fixed when I can. Right now if I can get the male fixed for 80, the female would be more, then I’ll do that to prevent any more litters.

The cheapest I can find in my huge 500 plus vet city is $300 to fix a rabbit.
Most charge close to double this.
If I go through a vet it’ll be around that price. Depending on where I go. I had to leave a message with the humane society that charges 80. The one that charges 180, for males, I can just call and make an appointment. I don’t want to do that until I hear back from the other though.

I have started looking for people to take them in. I had no idea people dumped rabbits. The plan is to get both fixed when I can. Right now if I can get the male fixed for 80, the female would be more, then I’ll do that to prevent any more litters.
Ok, great!

Unfortunately rabbits are the third most commonly dumped pet. And since they're so fragile they usually don't live for very long, sometimes only a few days. Shelters that take in rabbits are often overwhelmed with the rabbits that are surrendered or found dumped. Especially after Easter when people realize rabbits aren't easy pets.
That's why I always recommend people adopt, plus, they're often fixed already.

I found one humane society that charges 180 and one that says they charge 80. I’m checking with both. I only found two humane societies that even listed rabbits. All the rest were just cats and dogs.

These are my two sons rabbits and right now keeping them separated permanently isn’t an option. That’s why we wanted ones of the same sex. But so far the adults get along. I think they have enough space that they don’t readily fight. I also worry the male will get lonely if I keep him alone.
Rabbits are not as social as people think they are. As for not separating them, either they will continue to get along or they won't.

so far the adults get along. I think they have enough space that they don’t readily fight. I also worry the male will get lonely if I keep him alone.
It can be helpful to have two pens, with wire mesh dividing them, and a door in between that you can open or close.

That way they can always interact through the wire, so they don't get too lonely, but you have the option to separate them or let them be together.

It can be helpful to have two pens, with wire mesh dividing them, and a door in between that you can open or close.

That way they can always interact through the wire, so they don't get too lonely, but you have the option to separate them or let them be together.
I like this idea. I might be able to do this at a later date. I actually just did this with my chickens. I had to separate my bantams because my light Brahma thought one silkie was his girlfriend. 😑 I divided one run into two tho by adding wire. Not ideal but all I could manage at the moment. Maybe I could do the same with the rabbits. Once I get everyone figured out.
And the place that advertised on their website that they took care of rabbits doesn’t. This was the 80$ place. So 180$ it is.

Just wanted to stop in and add here, make sure you either rehome or have the babies separated before 5 months (if you are unsure of sex). I didn't catch how old they are in your post, but be careful as rabbits can breed around 5-6 months old. Some breeds can even become pregnant as soon as 12 weeks.

Last edited:
Just wanted to stop in and add here, make sure you either rehome or have the babies separated before 5 months (if you are unsure of sex). I didn't catch how old they are in your post, but be careful as rabbits can breed around 5-6 months old. Some breeds can even become pregnant as soon as 12 weeks.
I’m not sure how old the babies are. Im going with NatJ’s guess at around 3 weeks. My sons are trying to get their friends to take the rabbits but I don’t think that’ll pan out. I’m waiting until the end of the month to start posting anything on Craigslist about them.

Soooooo… the female is showing nesting behaviors, I googled it, and is collecting straw in her mouth. Is there any point in keeping the male away from her, besides potential aggression? I have an appointment for him to get fixed on the 28th.

Back
Top Bottom