My rabbits had babies… what now?

Pics
I was able to rehome the four older babies.
That's great news!

I also think the one that died might have been attacked by the older ones. This is a picture of the dead baby. It has a weird bald spot on it making me think the older babies ripped it’s fur out.
I do not know for sure if that is what happened or not.

But if you had removed the older ones when the new litter was born, there would have been no chance for them to hurt a younger one. (It might have died anyway, if the older bunnies did not cause the death, but you would not be wondering whether or not they had done it.)

That's great news!

I do not know for sure if that is what happened or not.

But if you had removed the older ones when the new litter was born, there would have been no chance for them to hurt a younger one. (It might have died anyway, if the older bunnies did not cause the death, but you would not be wondering whether or not they had done it.)
I had them fenced off within the run so they could still see the mother. Being bunnies they found a way under the fence that I didn’t know about. When i found the dead one and the live one from the second litter they were inside that fencing. With the bigger baby bunnies. Both of these babies from the first litter were boys. That’s why i assumed it was them. But you are right. It might have died anyway. It is cold here and it seemed like the younger two didn’t really know how to get back to their nest. I think they were in with the older two to try and keep warm.

I had them fenced off within the run so they could still see the mother. Being bunnies they found a way under the fence that I didn’t know about.
Oh, that makes sense. I didn't understand that at first.

Yes, bunnies are really good at finding little spots to get through!

When i found the dead one and the live one from the second litter they were inside that fencing. With the bigger baby bunnies. Both of these babies from the first litter were boys. That’s why i assumed it was them.
I don't think gender would make much difference in how they acted toward a younger bunny, at their current age (the younger ones are under a month, and the older ones probably under two months, right? Bunnies at those ages shouldn't be territorial or trying to breed or fight yet.)

But you are right. It might have died anyway. It is cold here and it seemed like the younger two didn’t really know how to get back to their nest. I think they were in with the older two to try and keep warm.
That sounds likely to me (although we'll probably never know for sure.)

This little guy seems to be the runt of the littler. I’m a little worried about him. Mom spends a lot of her time next to him now that the babies are exploring out of the nest. He follows her around and seems to only be able to see out of his one eye. His other eye looks like it is either crusted closed or he had an injury. Any suggestions? He’s the black bunny in the picture with the two. I tried to take one for size reference but realize it might not come across properly. He is smaller than the rest though.
4B99080E-1870-442F-A74A-33F71AE172D0.jpeg
DDC56A56-0D72-4049-AAC9-D137095F93FE.jpeg
F55C6237-DEAC-47CE-B08E-BA7D5E9C0726.jpeg
B482ACB2-A684-4E0B-AD86-E8F04F6F348D.jpeg
E4B6F565-123F-49F5-B14D-AEB3A8D6EEB6.jpeg
AC06392B-DF17-4EA4-A731-2AA04649A8D1.jpeg

Found another baby dead but this time it was in the nest. There was another in there that refused to leave the nest and I think if I hadn’t moved it it would have died. I’m debating moving everyone inside but if mom is pregnant again, from dads break out, then I need to have a place she can nest again. And I’m not sure I can accommodate that inside. The temps here are crazy. I think it’s the constant freezing of all the melt off that might be killing them. But I really have no idea. What do your all think? Bring them inside or is it better to leave them be?

I’m debating moving everyone inside but if mom is pregnant again, from dads break out, then I need to have a place she can nest again. And I’m not sure I can accommodate that inside.

Rabbits can have bunnies in a nestbox full of hay or straw. A rabbit nestbox is usually about a foot wide and 18" long for large breeds, and smaller breeds can be fine with even less space. One important detail: the opening needs to be at the top, or the upper half of one side, so the bunnies don't crawl out when they are still tiny.

If you have a large enough cage, it's easy enough to just stick a nestbox in. (It can be made of wood or metal, or maybe even a cardboard box.)

The temps here are crazy. I think it’s the constant freezing of all the melt off that might be killing them. But I really have no idea. What do your all think? Bring them inside or is it better to leave them be?

I do not know what would be best in your case.

When I raised rabbits, they all lived outdoors, all the time.
The bunnies were born in a nestbox full of hay or straw, and generally did fine.
But you probably have a different climate than I did, so my experience may not be very helpful ;)

My rabbits were always in raised cages with wire floors. I have read that bunnies with access to the ground can get sick & die from coccidiosis. You might want to look into that. (Because my rabbits never had it, I never learned much about it.)

Found another baby dead but this time it was in the nest. There was another in there that refused to leave the nest and I think if I hadn’t moved it it would have died. I’m debating moving everyone inside but if mom is pregnant again, from dads break out, then I need to have a place she can nest again. And I’m not sure I can accommodate that inside. The temps here are crazy. I think it’s the constant freezing of all the melt off that might be killing them. But I really have no idea. What do your all think? Bring them inside or is it better to leave them be?
I would bring them in especially if she is prego again and the weather keeps bouncing up and down

The ground has thawed out enough for them to start digging tunnels under the hutch in the run. Mom has dug the biggest one under a hay bail. Now I’m scared I’ll miss a baby in one of the holes if I bring them inside. But the temps are going to go from 47 to 20 here overnight. Ugh. If I get a chance I think I’ll put them in the chicken coop out there. Then lock them in. If I can find all of the babies.

Now I’m scared I’ll miss a baby in one of the holes if I bring them inside. But the temps are going to go from 47 to 20 here overnight.

The temperatures you are talking about would be the air temperature.
Underground (in the tunnels) the temperature will be much more stable.

If you bring them in to somewhere much warmer (like your house), that will be a big shock for them-- probably not the best idea. (Stable temperatures can be good, but major changes from what they are used to can be bad.)

If I get a chance I think I’ll put them in the chicken coop out there. Then lock them in. If I can find all of the babies.

Putting them somewhere they cannot escape would be good, if you can manage it.

Back
Top Bottom