My "Rainbow" Colored Orpingtons.... Attn: Tadkerson

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Tony, Oct 9, 2008.

1. KKluckers

KKluckers Time Out

Sep 4, 2007
    Quote:Tony, what are you trying to accoplish with these as far as colour? You mentioned silver laced. I have been told you need the lacing gene for that.

2. Tony

Tony Songster

Jan 16, 2008
    Connecticut
    Hi Korfus, I had to go back and read what I had written, I didn`t say silver laced, I said the white roo is "shiny silver in the sunlight". I`m not sure what I will eventually accomplish, these colors just happened, like I stated in the post, I was surprised myself.
    So my long term goal for now would have to be, i`m just adding nice colors to my orpington flock. lol
    #`s 8,9 and 10 will more than likely become dinner because technically they are mixed breed, and the orps are pure breed. I plan on sticking with pure orps. thanks

3. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Songster

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    corancher said silver laced.

Great looking birds. I also love the heart shaped mottled bird [​IMG] Very pretty.

4. KKluckers

KKluckers Time Out

Sep 4, 2007
    Quote:Thats what I get for waking up to early [​IMG] I wonder about the bird that looks mottled. That would be neat to see a mottled Orpington.

5. ChickenGirl95

ChickenGirl95 Songster

May 31, 2008
    New York
    WOW, they are very pretty!

6. tadkerson

tadkerson Songster

Jul 19, 2008
    Missouri
    Quote:Tony,

The genes that produce the spangeling are the patten gene, dark brown gene and melanotic. Melanotic would have come from your blues. The dark brown gene could have come from the buffs. The pattern gene could have been found in the blues or buffs. The breast area of males is easy to spangle. I have seen the spangling on offspring produced from an appenzeller and easter egger cross. Females do not show the breast spangling like males. The spangles are large so I would imagine the birds are birchen.

Your birds only carry one melanotic, one dark brown gene and one pattern gene. Sometimes you can get spangling with one dark brown gene and one melanotic on males. It depends on what other genes are present.

The dark red birds look like very smutty RIR. I would say they would have picked up the wheaten and mahogany genes from the black sex linked. The black smutt is from the black intensifiers found in the blue birds or the black hen.

Tim

7. DutchChic

DutchChic Chick Charmer

Jun 4, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    Tony, your birds are absolutely gorgeous! I love things that are unique, and I love Orpingtons in any color. Rock on, Orp man!

8. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Wow what a kaliescope of colors![​IMG]

9. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    Beautiful[​IMG][/img]

10. Tony

Tony Songster

Jan 16, 2008
    Connecticut
    Tim wrote:
    The dark red birds look like very smutty RIR. I would say they would have picked up the wheaten and mahogany genes from the black sex linked. The black smutt is from the black intensifiers found in the blue birds or the black hen.

I failed to mention that the sex linked hens were not black, they were the red type.
    Does it make a difference with what you said? Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: