My "Rainbow" Colored Orpingtons.... Attn: Tadkerson

Quote:
Tony, what are you trying to accoplish with these as far as colour? You mentioned silver laced. I have been told you need the lacing gene for that.

Hi Korfus, I had to go back and read what I had written, I didn`t say silver laced, I said the white roo is "shiny silver in the sunlight". I`m not sure what I will eventually accomplish, these colors just happened, like I stated in the post, I was surprised myself.
So my long term goal for now would have to be, i`m just adding nice colors to my orpington flock. lol
#`s 8,9 and 10 will more than likely become dinner because technically they are mixed breed, and the orps are pure breed. I plan on sticking with pure orps. thanks

corancher said silver laced.

Great looking birds. I also love the heart shaped mottled bird
big_smile.png
Very pretty.

Quote:
Thats what I get for waking up to early
lol.png
I wonder about the bird that looks mottled. That would be neat to see a mottled Orpington.

Quote:
Tony,

The genes that produce the spangeling are the patten gene, dark brown gene and melanotic. Melanotic would have come from your blues. The dark brown gene could have come from the buffs. The pattern gene could have been found in the blues or buffs. The breast area of males is easy to spangle. I have seen the spangling on offspring produced from an appenzeller and easter egger cross. Females do not show the breast spangling like males. The spangles are large so I would imagine the birds are birchen.

Your birds only carry one melanotic, one dark brown gene and one pattern gene. Sometimes you can get spangling with one dark brown gene and one melanotic on males. It depends on what other genes are present.

The dark red birds look like very smutty RIR. I would say they would have picked up the wheaten and mahogany genes from the black sex linked. The black smutt is from the black intensifiers found in the blue birds or the black hen.

Tim

Tim wrote:
The dark red birds look like very smutty RIR. I would say they would have picked up the wheaten and mahogany genes from the black sex linked. The black smutt is from the black intensifiers found in the blue birds or the black hen.

I failed to mention that the sex linked hens were not black, they were the red type.
Does it make a difference with what you said? Thanks

Back
Top Bottom