1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My Red Star Had a Stroke

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jojogardener, Dec 26, 2014.

1. jojogardener

jojogardener New Egg

Dec 23, 2014
    Well, at least I believe she did.
    Last Thursday 12/18, my 11 year old son called me at work all distressed that Coco was acting peculiar... and like most typical 11 year olds, could not really describe the "peculiar".
    By the time I got home it was dark and all I could make out was that she was not in her nesting box where she normally sleeps but rather on a small decorative fencing piece I had put into her coop that I use during the nice weather.
    OK thats odd I thought.... but she was sleeping and all appeared calm
    Bright and early next morning, I went into her coop... she was sitting on the floor of the coop very lethargic...
    I brought her inside.
    She would not eat, her poop was clear foamy and watery and she was stepping on her feet, she did drink, but she drooled most of it as she drank.
    That night she sat down for what I thought would be the last time.
    I put her in the dog basket with several old towels and put her next to the wood burning stove, gave her some liquid calcium thinking that she may be egg bound and went to bed praying for her.

The next several days were amazing.........
    Although she has not been able to walk at all as her feet are severely twisted, she has greeted us with warm coos each time we go downstairs to feed the fire. My son and I give her water and poke her food around in her bowl so she can "hear" where the food is as she appears to have also lost her sight. -
    Her poop is back to normal - her "fingers" have straightened out somewhat and she is starting to grab the edge of the food bowl and is able to sit upright.
    Today she ate egg noodles! and almost stood up ....
    We have spent a week with her, talking to her stroking her and although we might end up losing her, the experience has been amazing. I never dreamed that a chicken could bring so much joy -What an amazing present my son and I shared this blessed Holiday.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. Chickens are very sweet animals, and when one is very sick, they can seem to sense that you are trying to help them. I would give her some poultry vitamins and electrolytes in her water, if you haven't already done that. Did she have a Mareks vaccine? While a stroke may indeed be her problem, I would also look at other neurological problems that may be treatable. Mareks disease is not, but there are other diseases such as botulism and chemical or lead poisoning, aflatoxin poisoning from mold in feed, and others. Vitamin deficiencies can also cause neurological problems and lameness. I sure hop she recovers so that you can enjoy her for a long time. Here are a couple of links to read:
    http://www.thepoultrysite.com/diseaseinfo/19/botulism
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by